Default Best deck footings to use for wet soil

Hello all, first post. We just purchased a cottage on the bay of Fundy, north shore of Nova Scotia. The land slopes gently to the rocky shore. It is a developed property with a existing 10ft deep x 30 wide deck. Looks like it has been there a while and is not the best frame work so out it comes. The present deck blocks, few that there are are sinking in some spots. This is a free standing deck btw. I was looking at deckplans.com and this seems the easiest build that does not envolve digging. Because the soil is wet due to our slope and the land behind....... would deck blocks on grade be a good way to go. The program suggests 35 block for the size we need. Weather here is temperate as we are at least 200ft from the high water line. Not a lot of freezing and thawing occurring i don't think. Deck is max 30in and I will deal with local codes once I get a footing answer, gota start somewhere!
    I'm looking for the simplest most cost effective build.

Default Re: Best deck footings to use for wet soil

Head on to your friendly building department - they will tell you what's code in your city.

Questions are free.

How much is a correct answer ?

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRemodeler View Post
    How much is a correct answer ?
    Depends who you ask.

Here on this form, they are free. May not always be the correct answers - but free.

But then again, you always get what you pay for.

I think you are going to have to dig. Anything that sits on top of wet soil is going to sink. I think you will find that you have bed rock not too far below the surface, if you do, then that is how far you need to go down with a post hole digger. You can fill with concrete or drop in treated 4x4's or 6x6's and backfill with dirt. Your choice.

Concrete will last the longest, but it is the hardest to remove if you decide to make changes in the future.