+ Reply to Thread

Default occasional black sediment in well water

Hi, we occasionally have black sediment in our well water. Noticed it when the cold water was on. This happens once in awhile, but if you run the water for a few minutes it clears up. It normally happens when you first turn on the faucet.I don't recall ever noticing it when the water was on a for long time.

Up to a few years ago we always had very good water a bit hard but no smell. Then it started smelling a bit funny and there seems to be iron in it. Coincidentally, my neighbor, had trouble with his well running out of water and about 2 yrs ago he blasted his well with nitrogen? to open up a vein??.

I'm not sure what we should do?
    #1 have the water tested by an independent source, not a company that sells water treatments
    or contact a company like Culligan?
    #2 Install a whole house water filter. Does it go before water tank or after?
    #3 Could it be the pipes? House was built in the 1950s.

Thank you in advance. Lori

Default Re: occasional black sediment in well water

Do you have any galvanized pipe in the house?
    It's this old house, not this built after your dad was born house.

function's idea sounds correct to me. it could be galvanized piping in the house, from the house to the well or the pipe down into the well. the key piece of evidence is that it happens when you turn the water on and eventually clears up.

when the water sits in the pipes, the initial burst of the water running through the pipes when you turn it on, loosens any loose, rusty metal on the inside of the pipes and you will get gritty water.

The well most likely has galvanized piping and that is where you are most likely to be getting the rust from. These can be replaced DIY but it's a bugger of a job, especially if the well is deep. I'd talk with the nearest neighbors and see if they are experiencing anything similar. If they are then somewhere in the aquafer something has happened which has introduced iron into it, and in that case proper filtration will be necessary. That could be something as innocent as a tree falling down a mile away, disrupting loose rock under it allowing sedimantary iron to get into the aquafer where it's near the surface. I doubt that your nitrogen-neighbor caused this but that too is a possibility. Your neighbors may also help you find a good well service company or person if you have to replace the well piping.

A good book for anyone on a well or septic system is "Wells and Septic Systems" by Max and Charlotte Alth. Long out of print and not up to today's codes, it can still be found and it is the best single reference for either of these. It will tell you how to avoid problems and what to do when you have them. Wells may seem like a simple hole in the ground but they are far more complex in operation than meets the eye!

Phil

Phil-thank you!