+ Reply to Thread

Default Leaking window, temporary fix of Interior, what are the best steps for this repair

20 year old building where wind is a factor so if it rains and the wind kicks in this (and others) get it hard. In the meantime I removed the wood shutters exposing moisture exposure. I cleaned it off (see photo) now to repair even though temporary.

Questions:
    1) Can I just spackle it now? or do I have to put some kind of primer before the spackle? If so what, no one at Home Depot was able to tell me anything or recommend.

2) I cleaned off all the lose particles but do I do better and remove the crack area as well?

I would like to do the best possible so any recommendation would be great. I don't want to put a boarder around the window to make it look better. I am just putting a roller blind.

thank you!!

http://www.bluemelon.com/photo/4087298.jpg
    http://www.bluemelon.com/photo/4087299.jpg

Default Re: Leaking window, temporary fix of Interior, what are the best steps for this repai

First you need to address the leak issue - and repair it, so no more rain water comes in.

You did a pretty good job cleaning, but continue to clean. Remove all loose and cracked drywall mu. Expose the entire metal frame and beads. Try to remove as much of the rust as you can.
    Then: 1. rustproof the metal beads (or use rustoleum). 2. apply drywall tape (mesh) where needed. 3. star with all purpose joint compound, let dry, sand and repeat as needed. 4. prime and paint.

Default Re: Leaking window, temporary fix of Interior, what are the best steps for this repai

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    First you need to address the leak issue - and repair it, so no more rain water comes in.

You did a pretty good job cleaning, but continue to clean. Remove all loose and cracked drywall mu. Expose the entire metal frame and beads. Try to remove as much of the rust as you can.
    Then: 1. rustproof the metal beads (or use rustoleum). 2. apply drywall tape (mesh) where needed. 3. star with all purpose joint compound, let dry, sand and repeat as needed. 4. prime and paint.
    -- What are metal beads?
    -- Am I suppose to remove all the drywall around the metal frame?
    -- Where would I use drywall tape?
    -- What does STAR mean in star with all purpose joint compound?

sorry I don't know any terminology.

Use Joint compound instead of spackle?

thanks

PS we may be tearing down the house in couple of years or less thus temporary fix.

It sounds like you may be in over your head. Go to youtube and look into some vids on drywall repair and drywall finishing- that will show and tell you what you need to do. But as dj1 said, that is pointless until you stop the water from coming in; it may even fail in the next storm leaving you where you are now all over again! Maybe it's just me but if the house is going to be demo'ed in the next few years I'd proibably either leave it alone or cut some 1/4" plywood to cover that area with- no point in spending excess time or money on anything that's going to be torn down anyway!

Phil