+ Reply to Thread

Default Dishwasher Racks

I have a 12 year old dishwasher that has never given us any problems. However, my wife noticed that the vinyl coating on the racks has started to come off, the metal underneath has rusted, and the dishes are coming out stained. Is there a repair for the racks to recover the metal with some type of paint or other product?
    We have no other problems with the dishwasher but new racks would cost us $170.

Default Re: Dishwasher Racks

You have 3 choices, considering that: the life's expectancy of a dishwasher is around 12 years, replacing the racks would cost $170 and new washers go for around $400 and up.

1. Buy new racks
    2. Buy a new washer.
    3. Do nothing.

I'd choose #2. Forget painting the racks - theses are dishes you're talking about.

Go to the hardware store and buy yourself a can of Plasti-Dip. It is a product for insulating handle grips on pliers and such. You want the can of product, not the aerosol. Simple dab on the PD wherever it is needed. While it won't look pretty, it will work to cover the rust and keep your dishes from getting stained.

As DJ said, the dishwasher is coming to it's useful end, so start saving up and shopping for a new unit.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Yep, Start a new dishwasher fund going.

The plasti-dip can work, there are also products like these. But the rust should be gone before coating, which is a problem.

Thanks for the help. My wife and I had already come to the same conclusion about getting ready to buy a new dishwasher, but I was hopeful to make it last as long as possible. We are keeping our eyes open for a really good sale!