+ Reply to Thread

Default Venting a vaulted ceiling

My home has a vaulted ceiling in the living room. I have noticed that there is discoloration on the sheet rock that coincides with what I think are location of sheet rock screws. I have had a roofer check and there is no roof leak. I am wondering if the area between rafters is properly vented. There are roof vents in the roof but not between each rafter. There are vents in the blocking between each rafter tail.

Should the area be vented with a continuous ridge vent? It would seem that the area is not vented to allow air circulation and that would result in condensation between rafters which is showing up in the area of the sheet rock screws.

Default Re: Venting a vaulted ceiling

Correct on all counts.

I'd dig carefully at the drywall fastener heads to see if there is any rust. After the cosmetic stuff there isn't much to do until you are replacing the roof. When that time comes you can properly vent that section of roof with good eve and ridge venting, baffles that keep the insulation from contacting the roof sheathing, and proper insulation.