+ Reply to Thread

Default make a corian counter cutout smaller to fit new sink

I have a 13 year old composite sink that has cracked and needs to be replaced. It is a drop-in type in a Corian counter top. The problem is that the sink is larger than the standard kitchen sink size and the cutout is to big. Can this be repaired to allow the installation of a smaller sink?

Default Re: make a corian counter cutout smaller to fit new sink

Can't help with shrinking the hole, but why not use a larger sink?
    John

This is not an easy situation, and the results, even if successful, may not be as attractive as desired.

Get a hold of Corian strips (of the same color and type as the counter top). Cut them to size to fill in the gaps, then glue them to the counter top, using only Du Pont special Corian glue. Support these strips from under the sink, you'll need to be creative here.

As I said, success is doubtful, but what's the alternative? replace the whole counter top or getting a larger custom sink than the existing cut out.

If it were me, I'd trash the Corian counter top as fast as I can.

I would start with the larger sink idea, if that doesn't work out, then I would contact a corian installer and have them make up a donut to overlay the hole and make it smaller, then set a new top set sink into the donut. It will raise the sink slightly, and give it a wider rim, but it will save replacement if the existing counter is still in good enough shape.

I've used this method with other applications to great success, good luck and report back on your progress.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Holding the new sink in the air is also a bit of a technical challenge and must be considered as part of the cosemtic counter work

yeah thats going to suck. it will look nasty.

You could make the cut out larger and get a joiner to build a wooden cutting board or bespoke drainer to fill/extend the gap and create a nice unique feature?

You don't say how much to big the hole is. If not to large you might consider a goof sink ring http://www.vanceind.com/a-7goofsinkframes.aspx

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb