+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default Wedge Expansion Anchor (Bolt)

Question: can wedge expansion expansion anchor bolts be uninstalled (removed).

I am securing a fire safe (60" H, 435 lbs) to my garage floor -- manufacturer recommends 4 "wedge anchors" of minimum 3" long & 9/16" dia.

Once installed, can the anchors be "unexpanded" for removal, to move the safe ??

I suppose I can buy 4, hand tight one a little, and reverse it to see of the wedge elbow retracts. . .

Default Re: Wedge Expansion Anchor (Bolt)

Generally, no, the wedges do as they are supposed to and secure the bolt in the hole, what you can do is simply cut them off and leave it or tap the bolt shank down into the hole and fill with a bit of mortar.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

You see them on city concrete sidewalks, in places where they used to have newsstands or mail boxes which were removed. The bolts cut off and ground to the concrete.

How about Tapcon concrete/masonry screws ? I have never used them, and don't know if they come in the size needed, especially the diameter.

Anyone unscrewed them ?

Thanks.
    Last edited by t_manero; 08-02-2013 at 09:54 PM.

i use tapcon screws all the time....no reason not to use them and you can remove them later

Or you could install lead rawl plugs The bolt can be installed and unscrewed later.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb