+ Reply to Thread

Default old and broke siding questions

Hello, I have a 1916 very simple farmhouse typical of my area. It looks a lot like the house on the Perdue chicken label, and has just a few architectural points that are interesting outside. Diamond fish scale shingles under a couple of eaves and a couple of little gingerbread items. Not much, really. The man who built this house was a frugal farmer, lol.

Here are my problems/challenges:

I am middle aged and in not so great health. I am having a lot of trouble with mild and mini strokes so dealing with a 2 story house is a problem. I have fallen off of a roof once and do not want a repeat!

My house hates paint! It has become quite expensive to continually repaint as I have to hire people to do it.

I know most purists hate vinyl siding but I am seriously considering it. My house has become an eyesore and my money is limited.

Any ideas?

Thanks for any thoughts and tips.

Default Re: old and broke siding questions

After reading your post, my first and immediate question is: why do you live in a two story home?

However, if you can't sell it, just want to fix it, go with vinyl sidings. I know I'm going to hear it from a lot of folks on this site, but vinyl makes sense in your situation, for all the reasons you mentioned.

Let us know, and stay off the ladder.

Default Re: old and broke siding questions

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    "I know I'm going to hear it from a lot of folks on this site, but vinyl makes sense in your situation, for all the reasons you mentioned."
    Darn tootin' you'll hear from me- Kudos on the good advice

There are times when the ideal product isn't feasible and an alternative is better. That's the case here since we don't need our OP running into trouble doing exterior maintenance. The one maintenance thing I would do prior to the siding (especially where metal will be applied to cover wood) is to spot scr@pe and paint as needed. That doesn't have to be pretty or any color, just give the wood some protection from condensation under the metal and vinyl so the substrate lasts. The siding installer might do this for a cheap enough price or get a handyman type to do it, you don't need a 'real painter' for something like that.

Phil