+ Reply to Thread

Default Basement Insulation

Hey All

So long story short...I hired to make things faster, fired because they were too slow, and now I'm doing it on my own. I'm very familiar with framing, plumbing, electrical, drywall, etc. However, I know nothing about insulation

I live near Toronto On Canada, which gives you an idea of climate. My 600 sqft basement has 9.5 foot ceilings (5 ft below grade) and it's divided into 3 rooms (2 soundproof rooms and a living area). The contractor framed and was going to slash the blanket poly and cavity fill the studs with R20 FG Batts.

Building code in my area says that as long as it's R20, I can do whatever I want. However, I want to find out about preventing mold and trying to do all this insulation work with the studs already up.

Studs have been placed 3-6" from concrete or flush-3" from blanket.

Cheers!

Default Re: Basement Insulation

Closed-cell foam is far and away the best insulation for damp areas where mold might be a problem; moisture cannot get into it as it can with any type of fiberglass. It's worth the extra cost where you need it. One caveat is to check it for bonding after it's dried in place- I recently saw a case where one of the chemicals was bad and the foam did not bond, you could pull it off the walls with one finger. I don't know how widespread that problem is but it's an easy check so do it.

Phil