+ Reply to Thread

Default Moving old house to new location....foundation question

Ok folks, I am a newbie here but have a question that no one in Dallas seems to be able to answer for me. Hoping you all can help me out. Texas=clay soil. UGH! I may be acquiring a new "old" house, she is over 100 years old, and she will have to be moved. She is currently up on blocks. She was on a pier and beam foundation before, will she have to go on the same type foundation or can a slab be poured and she can simply be pulled over it and dropped right on top of it? Thanks! Anyone with experience, PLEASE give me some insight, if possible!

Default Re: Moving old house to new location....foundation question

If the house was on a raised foundation, I would set it back on a raised foundation. Can you convert to a slab, sure, but you're going to significantly increase your costs to do so.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

You can do either drilled piers or block piers.

Setting it on a slab would cut off access for repairs and termite treatments.

And slabs are much more expensive.

I don't have any experience with move-ons, but I tend to think like spruce and houston. It's designed for blocks - stay with blocks.

BTW, I didn't know that a house is a "she".

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    BTW, I didn't know that a house is a "she".
    A "she" will take whatever you can give her, a "he" will say F-U and collapse!
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!