+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default Radiant heating for addition above my garage

Hi, I have built an addition above my garage and I am thinking of using Radiant Heat as the heating source. Our weather gets pretty cold -20, 25 degrees celsius. Will this be a sufficient source of heat?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
    Dave

Default Re: Radiant heating for addition above my garage

it will be an excellent source of comfortable heat if it's installed properly and the garage ceiling is insulated properly.

Great... the garage ceiling is already insulated. R40... I would remove it... Add in all of the pex piping in between the joists. Right against the bottom of the flooring. I will have hardwood in the room. Do you foresee any issues?
    Thanks again!!
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by DaveM View Post
    Great... the garage ceiling is already insulated. R40... I would remove it... Add in all of the pex piping in between the joists. Right against the bottom of the flooring. I will have hardwood in the room. Do you foresee any issues?
    Thanks again!!
    Dave
    no issues, the pex snaps into the metal heat transfer plates which are affixed to the underside of the subfloor. then you should be good to go. only thing i would recommend, but not necessary, is to install foil backed rigid insulation against the bottom of the the heat transfer plates with the R-40 below that. this way as much of the heat as possible will not be lost to the garage.

Great! Thank you very much for your advice.