+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Questionable Porch Roof Replacement Method

Hello- after lifting some of the layers of the old porch roof a contractor decided to place all new plywood ON TOP OF the old roof, then W & I, then shingles. I argued that we had discussed my desire to have the old roof removed, rotten sections repaired and then a new roof installed. He insisted his idea would provide a much more sturdy roof. I was so upset it took me time to search your site & then call a friend to come & talk to the contractor. UNFORTUNATELY my friend was persuaded that this was OK. Last night it rained and water pooled in the exact place the leak had been. The contractor completed the job in 1 hr. this AM. When he presented the bill, I refused to pay yet. If the water pooling continues, do I have legal rights to hire a different contractor to remove ALL of the roofs and start again? And not pay this roofer? Was this an appropriate method to repair this roof which had rotten under-boards and leaked?
    Last edited by Marthi; 07-30-2013 at 11:26 AM.

Default Re: Questionable Porch Roof Replacement Method

It is never acceptable to overlay an existing roof with more plywood and then more roof. You were wise not to pay him.

The first phone call I would make is to the contractor governing body in your state and file a complaint against the company. The second phone call would be to a real estate attorney to discuss your rights and avenues of recourse, simply not paying the bad contractor doesn't end the issue, he likely has lien rights and may exercise them.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

you did the correct thing. he did a poor, quick job so that he could make more money on this project. he didn't do it correctly and he should be doing what you asked and agreed to whether it's correct or not.

do as spruce said and i would also contact the building inspector in your town and have a conversation with him too.

Quote Originally Posted by MLB Construction View Post
    do as spruce said and i would also contact the building inspector in your town and have a conversation with him too.
    Oh yes, absolutely do this! The building department doesn't like being left out of the loop on construction projects, they will also confirm that the work was not done properly, giving the bad contractor no wiggle room. Whatever you do DO NOT pay this idiot and DO NOT let him back on the job to do anything else.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Contact the contractors' board, and if this roofer is licensed, insured and bonded, report this incident. You may be able to have another roofer come in, rip this roof and do a good job to end all misery. The bonding company should pay for the removal of the roof the first roofer put on. Also: if the first roofer didn't pay for the materials he used, you are liable. In that case, the bonding company will have to pay for the materials too after you make claims.

And if he's not licensed, insured and bonded...tough.

I'd also call his insurance agent to let him know the level of work this guy is doing. None of what was described was "typical of industry standards. "

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRemodeler View Post
    I'd also call his insurance agent to let him know the level of work this guy is doing. None of what was described was "typical of industry standards. "
    I don't know about other states, but in California, the state board requires contractors to submit current bond and insurance statements. Your governing body may as well, which is how you will be able to get this info to contact them on your own.

Agreed 100% with the others, this guy ripped you off and he needs to be put out of business. One thing I'd add to the preceding is to see your attorney pronto, in fact make that your first stop and do it now. He will know what you will have to do to protect against a contractor's or mechanics lien. On top of that he might also recommend that you file a suit to recover the cost of removing and disposing of the 'new roof' since it's going to have to come off along with the old to do the job properly. If the roofer has insurance, they should cover this and they should also know what kind of idiot they've been insuring so they can drop him (after paying you of course).

Do not let this guy do anything more even if he agrees to remove his junk, refer him to your attorney and ask him to leave your property immediately and to not return. If he gives you any grief call the cops and have him removed with notice of trespass given.

Phil
    Last edited by Mastercarpentry; 08-02-2013 at 01:47 AM.

Thank you for your knowledgeable suggestions. I'll keep you posted of any progress in this drama!

Take lots of pictures all along the way. Some closer, some further away.