+ Reply to Thread

Default Laminate in open concept kitchen-living-dining area

I am remodeling my kitchen and have opened up the kitchen into the living and dining area, total open concept. I am thinking about installing laminate flooring in the entire area. My question is around installing the kitchen base cabinets. Do I install the base cabinets before the laminate, therefore installing the laminate up to the base cabinets, or can I install all the laminate flooring and place the kitchen base cabinets on top of the laminate flooring?

Default Re: Laminate in open concept kitchen-living-dining area

Install cabinets first. The laminate cannot bear the weight, and when you go to replace the laminate in a few years you will not have to remove the cabinets.
    It's this old house, not this built after your dad was born house.

A better idea is to install tile in the kitchen, laminate elsewhere. Why? laminate does poorly around water.

What they said. Particularly about the water.

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    A better idea is to install tile in the kitchen, laminate elsewhere. Why? laminate does poorly around water.
    This ^^^
    The laminate floor installed in my kitchen as a quick fix by the prior homeowner is in terrible shape in front of the sink, the stove and the fridge.
    It's this old house, not this built after your dad was born house.

Some higher-quality laminates are OK in kitchens so long as you mop up any spilled water completely and immediately, but I'd go with something else if possible. The cheaper laminates will fall apart quickly in a kitchen or bath environment. If I was dead-set on the idea I would start at the wall opposite the sink so that when (not if) boards needed to be replaced, it would be a relatively easy operation. Be sure that the last board against the cabinets will be narrow enough to turn down and lock in that toe-kick space; go too wide and you've got huge problems! And Id have some replacements from the same batch on hand just for this. That also answers the 'under or beside' question since you now know that you're going to be back in there again.

I'll never understand why someone who wants a hardwood-floor look will not do the job right with a real hardwood floor which would be wonderful in the very same application and if maintained, never need replacement. There are no short-cuts to a job done right as it should be done and there never will be. You never get what you don't pay for!

Phil