+ Reply to Thread

Default Wallpaper above the fireplace

I need information about the material behind the wallpaper above the fireplace. I am removing wallpaper from a room and when I got to the wall paper above the fireplace, there was a brown colored layer that is no where else in the room. Anyone have an idea about what that may be. I was thinking it was some sort of barrier from the fireplace chimney and the wallpaper but I am not sure. If it is how do I replace that barrier?

Default Re: Wallpaper above the fireplace

Can you give us a few more hints aside from "brown layer" ?

Is it papery? gauzy? masonry? smooth? Gritty? solid or movable?

Under the wallpaper the surface is smooth and white, unlike the plaster on the other walls. On the other side of the smooth white surface is the brown material that feels rough. Under that area, closer to the brown area is what I guess is the chimney outer surface.

if it is sandy, it sounds like what we called a 'brown coat' which is a layer of local brown sand and cement porged onto the bricks to make it smooth for plastering. Brown coats are cheaper by volume than plaster and easier to work with at larger thicknesses.

Poke at it with a screw driver and see if there is brick behind it. Worst that can happen is you spackle over your new hole.