+ Reply to Thread

Default Wall under middle of truss

Hello. My house is a single story with trusses. I want to remove a wall that runs perpendicular to the trusses below the mid-point but do not know if that wall would be considered load bearing. The 2x4 trusses are 26' long and 2' on-center with a standard W webbing with no center post. Two people I have talked to about this have said that any wall below trusses can be removed as they are only bearing on the exterior walls. While I want that to be true, I wonder if it is overly simplistic. What seems to support the idea is that the two openings (including a 4' opening) in the wall do not seem to have any structural headers. I guess I am just interested in what others think. Is it a simple as any interior wall below trusses can be removed? If not, who is the best person to ask, an engineer of some sort, the building inspector, an architect? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

Default Re: Wall under middle of truss

The only way to know if the trusses were designed to be supported by the ends is to ask the designer. It will take some research to find out the supplier of the trusses or the architect who specified them.

Not all trusses designed the same way. Don't listen to your friends and don't take the risk. Consult an architect.

Can you describe the wall: 2x4 construction? covered with plywood/OSB?

About the two openings you mentioned: are you sure they don't have headers?

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRemodeler View Post
    The only way to know if the trusses were designed to be supported by the ends is to ask the designer. It will take some research to find out the supplier of the trusses or the architect who specified them.
    Thanks for the reply Houston. Do you have any advice on a starting point for trying to find the supplier of the trusses or the architect? The house was built in 1978. I purchased it from the original owners and they left me the building plans, but the plans do not indicate who supplied the materials or who actually did the building.

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    Not all trusses designed the same way. Don't listen to your friends and don't take the risk. Consult an architect.

Can you describe the wall: 2x4 construction? covered with plywood/OSB?

About the two openings you mentioned: are you sure they don't have headers?
    dj1, the exterior walls are 2x4 on 16" centers. I am not sure what the sheeting is. The center wall I want to remove is 2x4 with sheetrock. I have not yet opened up the walls to be sure the openings don't have headers, but they sure sound pretty hollow from the outside.

Quote Originally Posted by chaka_hahn View Post
    dj1, the exterior walls are 2x4 on 16" centers. I am not sure what the sheeting is. The center wall I want to remove is 2x4 with sheetrock. I have not yet opened up the walls to be sure the openings don't have headers, but they sure sound pretty hollow from the outside.
    I still say consult an architect, an engineer or the building inspector.

Tracking down the truss manufacturer is practically impossible.

With a full set of plans you have a great head start. Take them to an engineer or truss builder to see if they can reverse engineer the trusses.

Thanks for all your information. I will definitely get more input before doing anything that will compromise the house.

Consulting an engineer or architect would confirm.
    A quick check would be to open up the top of the wall to see if there is a double plate. Bearing walls almost always have a double plate.
    the truss confiburation will also give you a clue, but an engineer would be the best judge.
    A 26' truss span is pretty modest and typical. There is a good chance the truss clear spans 26'.

On every clear-span truss I've seen spanning over 24 feet, the bottom chord was 2X6 so based on that I'd say these are not clear-span trusses but were designed for a load-bearing center wall. Only a truss engineer can say for sure. Many, but not all, trusses are clear-span types and I've seen drawings and built with some which clearly stated the need for support along specific lines for them to be sufficient. It may be possible to install a hanger beam above them to give you a clear-span look from underneath- ask the engineer about that when you consult them.

Phil