+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default Repair or replace french doors ?

I have some wood rot on the center section of my french doors. The part this is rotted is not part of the door itself, it appears to be a wood piece that is attached to the door, but I'm not sure how. Both doors are in good condition as well as the door frame.

I assumed I would need to replace the entire frame/doors, but thought I would ask first. Seems like a huge expense for such a small rotted piece.

I couldn't get the pictures to post, but here are the links to them.
    http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3803/9...5b286861_z.jpg
    http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5476/9...f3575571_z.jpg

Thanks for any advice

Default Re: Repair or replace french doors ?

The rotted part is called an astrigal. See if you can find a new one made from something other than wood. Look for Aztek or Fypon type materials.

you can change it by yourself, but you need right tools to change or replace it.

HoustonRemodeler has it right. If you can get it off without damaging anything, take it to a real lumberyard (not a big-box store) and odds are that they can match it if the carry the same brand of doors

If you can't get anything but wood for an exact replacement don't fret future problems. Just cut it to exact fit tacking it for testing, then before permanently installing it use a good grade of exterior primer on every wood surface. You may have to remove the weatherstripping to get to it all. Let the primer dry completely, lightly sand, then reprime. After that is dry, check the end-grain and if needed prime again (end grain can soak up primers and paints like a sponge). Install in a thin bed of caulking and be sure all possible routes of water ingression are sealed. Check for fit one final time (adjust and reprime as needed) then paint. Since it rotted once, I'd inspect it at least annually renewing caulking and paint as needed. That should make it last from now on.

Wood is a wonderful material and can last hundreds of years in a home, but it requires that you maintain it diligently if you expect that to happen.

Phil

Great information, thank you very much. The house is almost 20 years old, so I got good service from it, appreciate the info!

As a follow up, thanks for the information. I had some wood rot on the bottom of the doors (steel doors with a wood frame), and I repaired that. I was able to buy an astragal that was a better fit than the original, and it is PVC, so it won't rot. Saved me a lot of money.

Thanks for sharing the outcome, I wish everyone did this. We try to offer our best advice but all too often the poster simply disappears and we're left wondering what happened? These follow-ups also sometimes open our eyes to other things we haven't seen or considered and it becomes our turn to learn something new- and I don't mind that at all!

Phil