+ Reply to Thread

Default Roof Water and Ice shield on my entire roof !

I had my roof done 5 years ago and I just found out that they put the water and ice protection all the way up. I am guessing that's not good..any idea what the disadvantages are ?

Default Re: Roof Water and Ice shield on my entire roof !

the disadvantages are absolute zero. you're lucky if you got all that extra material for no additional cost.

Quote Originally Posted by MLB Construction View Post
    the disadvantages are absolute zero. you're lucky if you got all that extra material for no additional cost.
    But what about letting the roof breath? It's been determined that I have water under my shingles ,,won't that cause mold and mildew? It was so beastly hot upstairs that I installed a solar attic fan, and that seems to really help draw out the heat...
    I did not pay for water and ice to be applied but did pay for a proprietary product that the company suggested. All in all the whole roofing job was a hack job from the start, and now I am having problems. The company's inspector confirmed that the proprietary product wasn't there so I am thinking that they should replace the roof and provide what I paid for. I really don't think that's out of line.

I have no idea what the proprietary product is that you are talking about but the ice guard all the way up is what I would do. Even with a hack job of roofing it will prevent leaks if water does get under the shingles. Foe the roof to breath you need to have circulation on the inside on the sheathing not on the outside. Ice quard is much better than the felt normally used.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

If you are unsatisfied with your roof job and you don't get what you want, you can sue. I'm not a lawyer but I don't think that you have a case:

1. Getting the roofer to come and replace the entire roof is a very long shot.
    2. The roof was installed 5 years ago.
    3. You got the best underlayment money can buy - so you got a bargain.
    4. If you have leaks into the attic, you might have a case, but you don't report any leaks.

Let us know what happened, because you have an interesting case.

Quote Originally Posted by Grandcherokee View Post
    It's been determined that I have water under my shingles
    Not an uncommon occurrence, which is why it is so important to have felt paper or the I/W shield under it. Most people think it is the outer roof covering that does the waterproofing, when it is actually the felt and/or I/W shield.

What was this "proprietary" product and it's purpose?

What issues are you having with the roof now?
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

i totally agree with dj.. unlss you were charged through teh teeth for the roof install you should have no reason to try and take this to court. many quality renovators will ice and water shield an entire roof during a strip off for two reasons. its more water proof. and its on there for good. thye dont have to fight with tarps staying on if the roofer cant get to the site as soon as a roof is boarded in

we do this every job because we deal in additions.. we cant take the risk of having the house getting soaked if there are rooms that arent getting touched. water damage can kill a budget
    fire up the saw and make some dust

we do it sometimes and i have seen it in high end jobs in cold climates(Vermont) it's a great idea and no downside.

As was said, Roofs are ventilated from the INSIDE,(between the sheathing and the insulation)
    and waterproofed from the outside.

http://expediter-nyc.com

in my fair city the clay tile roofs are all blanketed with Grace Ice Shield.

and what they said.

Quote Originally Posted by Grandcherokee View Post
    But what about letting the roof breath? It's been determined that I have water under my shingles ,,won't that cause mold and mildew? It was so beastly hot upstairs that I installed a solar attic fan, and that seems to really help draw out the heat...
    I did not pay for water and ice to be applied but did pay for a proprietary product that the company suggested. All in all the whole roofing job was a hack job from the start, and now I am having problems. The company's inspector confirmed that the proprietary product wasn't there so I am thinking that they should replace the roof and provide what I paid for. I really don't think that's out of line.
    Howdy water under your shingles? Ok is it a sloped roof ? Is there a intrusion to the roofing plaine close to the water? a pipe vent, power mast, chimney, intersecting wall or roof in the area? How do you know water is under the shingles? Is it an asphalt roof?

But best of all if there is a roofing issue an not just a maintenance issue. Somewhere on the roof there is water infiltration but its being stopped because the roofer installed a better underlayment then felt. That better product is doing its job protecting the home . If i am getting this right, your mad because the roofer installed a product that is about 5 times more his cost and is protecting your home - what the -
    Have some roofer determine water issue and what to do to correct it. Consider having the venting of the roof checked to determine if you have enough to meet code an that no insulation in the attic has blocked the inlet venting. If you want to learn about the perm rating of roofing material an become enlightened consider reading the green building blog on the net . Recient article about the issue your concerned about. Moreover, asphalt shingles perm rating- water vapor transference ability verses felt verses ice guard verses synthetic roofing felt..... The roof shingles will dry out. correct the water entry source. Ice guard is almost a water proofing which keeps the roof decking dry... Also the decking dries out with this product from the attic side. Good luck. Some time how about thanking the roofer for the expensive upgrade underlayment he did for you.
    Any an all of my comments are just my opinion and not to be confused with facts.