+ Reply to Thread

Default Need advise on Painting a Pressure Treated Porch Floor

We have a newly installed pressure treated pine porch floor. We want to paint it and I've research as much as possible, and found this on the "Southern Pine" website"

"Paint may be used successfully on roof-protected porch floors. For optimum results, first treat the wood with a paintable water-repellent sealer/preservative. After the floor dries, a primer and two topcoats of porch and deck enamel should be applied. Porch enamel is especially formulated to resist abrasion and wear. Solid-color stains should never be used on flat surfaces such as decks and porches, because of their low resin content".

The problem is finding a water-based paintable water-repellent sealer/preservative. I've found a few oil-based ones and was wondering if a water-based primer and paint would adhere to it, as water-based is what is recommended.

Thanks for any help.

Default Re: Need advise on Painting a Pressure Treated Porch Floor

I found this thread on Painttalk.com

http://www.painttalk.com/f6/water-re...-primer-18176/

They bring up a good point: unless you treat all sides, including the underside, the boards will transpire water through themselves, peeling the paint off from the underside. Also as you walk on it and wear the paint off holes open on the surface allowing water under the paint.

Make a long story short; painting your deck will be a routine process.

Mine is.

HoustonRemodeler, thank you for the information. Coincidently, I am in Houston too. I did see that thread & wasn't quite sure what the bottom line was. If you had it to do over again, what would you do? I'd really don't want it to look like a deck rather than a porch & from everything I have read, solid stain does not work on horizontal surfaces. How often do you have to repaint your porch? I really do appreciate your input.

Have you considered a solid stain?

If a sealer is truely "water repellant", I question how anything is going to bond to it? If water beads up on it, for sure no water based product will bond to it.

I assume we are talking about tonque and grove decking, rather than a typical deck construction with 5/4 decking boards. In most climates, such T & G decking is going to expand and contract with the seasonal changes. This will cause breaks in the paint film along every seam into which water can penetrate. If water penetrates, some peeling is very likely. The longevity of the paint film is somewhat dependant on how covered the porch is. The more covered the porch, the less exposure it has to rain and sun, the two elements that eventually break down any finish.

Were it my deck, I would lean to an oil based primer, followed by a couple coats of acrylic based porch and deck paint. I prefer acrylic due to its more elastic nature. Oil paints dry hard and brittle and get more so with age. As the decking boards shrink and expand with the seasons, the acrylic is more likely to hold a continuous, unbroken film and thus hold rain water out.

If I were not locked in to wanting a painted surface, I would consider a premium oil stain. The wood is pressure treated so it does not readily rot. Oil stains form no surface film, so they cannot peel. Further, under a protected porch ceiling, refresher coats of stain would not be a yearly affair, as is so often is on exposed decks

Just a couple thoughts.
    Last edited by ordjen; 07-25-2013 at 01:35 AM.

Ordjen, thank you for your comments. You do make a good point about binding to the sealer. It is not T&G, just regular deck boards with appropriate spaces between the boards. The porch is South facing, so will get some, but limited sun and with the exception of about 4 inches across the front, it is under roof.

Are you recommending just the oil-based primer and two coats of acrylic paint, i.e. eliminating the sealer?

dj1, Most everything I've seen is solid stains are not recommended on horizontal surfaces.

I'm trying to make it look more like a porch than a deck, hence the desire to paint, but I also want whatever to last.

Thanks

Forget about any kind of paint on pressure treated pine. It will peel off within two years. Our steps in Ohio and our wood pressure treated deck in Florida were done in on a solid colored stain and both are doing fine. We tried paint on our pressure treated wood steps in Ohio and within two years it was almost gone. I sanded the remaining part off and then used a solid colored stain. Three years later it is still looking good. The steps were ten years old before I painted them so waiting for pressure treatment to wear off does not work. Stick with stain.

My deck faces East and is covered with the typical huge eave of a Heights home. I used a solid colored grey stain. We wear it off with our shoes, dog claws, and the moisture transpiring from the ground making it peel in small bits. We consider the wear pattern "patina" and re-apply the garage floor type paint every few years when it gets worn enough to bother us.

Since this apparently is just typical deck construction, I agree with Houston, just go with a couple coats of a solid hide deck stain. It gives the best protection and is the easiest to touch up.