+ Reply to Thread

Default big problems with deck

hi, so after about 6 years out deck surface is starting to chip. i don't know what the stuff is called but it's in a few layers ending with a plaster like material that is colored and stamped. anyway, there was a few thin spots that started cracking and water got in and it started releasing from the concrete/mesh. not all of it is coming up but i've chipped away everything that is.

now what we're planning on doing is finishing in Trex or something similar but we want to seal the surface before we go any further. my dad had the idea of tar sealing the entire deck because its flexable and water tight. what do you think about that? they also used OSB instead of ply and there is some minor water damage so we'll have to replace that first but then we want to make sure water will never get in again.

thank you for any advice.

Default Re: big problems with deck

Is this deck over living space?

What are the successive layers of this deck?

no it is not.

i believe its just OSB, then concrete/mesh, and the plaster on that. thats all.

You're looking at a proper rebuild to modern roofing methods.

Ask your local building inspector what is permissible in your area due to the slope (or lack there of)

well this was just an idea i had. the company doing the deck was going to put down a water proof membrane over everything i have right now, then put down treated 2x4's and the Trex over that. i just wanted something that would be a little more durable (i think), like tar.

You have to consider your deck as a large balcony. Tar won't do it. You need modified bitumen roofing, which comes in different variations, and it's close to what your deck company is suggesting.

To learn more about these types of roofing, read about it, so you can make a good decision.

thanks for the reply. i figured hot tar mopping has been used for roofs so it should be GTG for a deck but i'll do a little more research. i just don't want my dad to have to spend a ton of money again a couple years down the road.
    thanks guys.