+ Reply to Thread

Default Bad smell from drain

Hi guys. We are having an issue with the drain at least I hope that is the problem. Our washer sits in the lower bathroom and had a typical wall drain. There has been such a bad smell coming from that bathroom that it is effecting the entire lower level of the house. While doing some spring cleaning, I pulled the plastic drain hose out of the wall to find it was covered in gunk. It smelled really bad. I did my best to clean off the hose inside and out, and the pipe as well. Now the smell has returned with a vengeance. Is there anything I can do to remove this smell? Is there a better way to clean out the pipe? Or do I just have to be vigilant and make cleaning out this drain part of a monthly routine?

Default Re: Bad smell from drain

Let's hope the cause of your smell is just junk and bacteria in the drain, not a blocked vent.

To clean the line, pour a solution of 1 gal of hot water with a cup of bleach, vinegar or baking soda.

If the smell goes away but returns, do it again on a weekly basis.

If the smell doesn't go away, call your plumber.

Well, the smell went away for the time being. I only do laundry once a week and I assume it is worse from the build up of slimy stuff on the ridges of the drain hose. I may see if I can find a replacement hose that is smooth. Until then, I will be cleaning the drain hose, and the drain on a regular basis so no more bad smell. Thank you.

If there is no trap this will be a recurring problem.

They do make rubber donuts for the top of the hole for the hose to pass through, but that will only cover up the problem.

Weekly cleanup is what I do too. Beats replacing pipes.