+ Reply to Thread

Default ATOH and NEC question

I have seen on a couple of different shows things that I thought were violations of the National Electrical Code. Both times involved add on electrical outlets and entertainment centers.

IIRC the NEC prohibits using devices (outlets) to pass thru power to other devices. In other words the removal of a device must not remove power to devices downstream from the removed device.

The correct way to do this would be to wire nut the 2 black (or red) connections with a pigtail that goes to the outlet and wire nut the 2 white (neutral) wires to a pigtail that goes to the outlet

Mike

Default Re: ATOH and NEC question

Mike,

Thanks for the update. DOn't get us started on bathroom waterproofing either

Do keep in mind that different locales have different code standards, and there are some places with no code requirements at all. I kind of doubt that any licensed electrician would visibly violate codes knowing that it would be seen on TV by their local Inspectors- that could be very detrimental to one's Electrical business when they pull your card

The latest codes may be the best practice here, but that cannot overcome the fact that the old way works just fine if it is done well Just don't show me back-stab connections and I won't add my voice to the complaints.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Mikes5785 View Post
    I have seen on a couple of different shows things that I thought were violations of the National Electrical Code. Both times involved add on electrical outlets and entertainment centers.

IIRC the NEC prohibits using devices (outlets) to pass thru power to other devices. In other words the removal of a device must not remove power to devices downstream from the removed device.

The correct way to do this would be to wire nut the 2 black (or red) connections with a pigtail that goes to the outlet and wire nut the 2 white (neutral) wires to a pigtail that goes to the outlet

Mike
    Mike, are you speaking about multi-wire branch circuits (MWBC) or all 15 or 20A 120V circuits? I looked thru the 2012 RC and the 2011 NEC and could only find the pigtail requirement on MWBC's, and might have missed any mention in the IRC.

I always try to pigtail receptacles and even use stranded stranded wire to the devices, for an easy installation. But, as far as I know it's not Code.
    Good Luck from Columbiana, Alabama
    Maurice Turgeon, Hidden Content