+ Reply to Thread

Default Any idea how to do this floor "molding?" (pictures inside)

Hey guys! Before I go into a long ramble, I have a quick question. Would any of you know how to create the kind of floor design that's in this picture? Specifically what I'm talking about is where the floor meets the wall. You notice that there is an absence of floor molding, and there appears to be a 1"x1" inset area (black) where the wood flooring appears to butt up against it (though I assume it protrudes past it for expansion, etc).

Now the long part, I have a house in Fort Lauderdale that was built in 1987. It was originally designed as a Spanish / Mediterranean style of home, but in a type of 80s "modern" styling that was pretty common for South Florida / Fort Lauderdale. My roof was actually a pastel pink when the home was new, and of course, everything else was completely white (like from a Miami Vice episode... hah). At some point in the home's life (before I bought it), an older lady (was really nice) tried to make it look like... well, I'm not sure, but the home had plaid or duck wallpaper all over the inside. It was horrendous.

Anyway, this is what it looks like now with new paint and a new roof. I still plan to replace the front doors, driveway, and the mailbox (hah)... but it's on it's way.

Thanks!!!

Todd
    Last edited by Todd82TA; 07-21-2013 at 11:54 AM.

Default Re: Any idea how to do this floor "molding?" (pictures inside)

Install drywall so it is 1" above the floor, finish bottom of drywall the same as an outside corner.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    Install drywall so it is 1" above the floor, finish bottom of drywall the same as an outside corner.

Jack

Is it really that easy? Some of my walls are concrete on the other side of the drywall, while others have hollow interior walls. Any idea what should go on the bottom there (inside)? When you say finish the same as an outside corner, is that where I use those metal brackets that I cover with spackling and then sand before I paint?
    Last edited by Todd82TA; 07-21-2013 at 12:47 PM.

Look up FRY REGLET reveal base ( Z Reveal Molding ) the stock number DRMZ and pick the Depth & height.

Quote Originally Posted by Clarence View Post
    Look up FRY REGLET reveal base ( Z Reveal Molding ) the stock number DRMZ and pick the Depth & height.

THAT'S IT!!! THANK YOU!!!

http://www.fryreglet.com/shape/pdf/1...RevealBase.pdf
    Todd

Todd,

Yes it looks great but DON'T DO IT. I've been involved with 3 homes where very similar wall treatments were done. In all 3 homes the people who live there regret not having baseboards.

Just sayin......

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRemodeler View Post
    Todd,

Yes it looks great but DON'T DO IT. I've been involved with 3 homes where very similar wall treatments were done. In all 3 homes the people who live there regret not having baseboards.

Just sayin......

Really? I'm very interested to hear why this is. Is it because of the potential damage that occurs? Any other reasons? Please tell before I make a huge mistake! heh... thanks!
    Todd

The routine chore of cleaning the floors is a challenge. Mops are dangerous. Well meaning friends, less learned or caring maids will damage the drywall. Dogs, insects, children.....