+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default Adding UP to my house

We have a 2 bedroom home and it's almost perfect, even on a river. But I'd like to add a upper floor to it for more space. I have a plan in mind that would work perfectly without to much having to mess up the downstairs floor plan. We just need to have the basic building of the second story & the electrical done for us. We're very capable of finishing everything else. How do we approach a builder with this? And what do you think a 42' X 24' added story should cost in the middle of Michigan area?

Default Re: Adding UP to my house

You start with talking to general contractors and architects in your area. All professionals whom you talk to must be recommended, experienced and trustworthy to avoid pitfalls. They know the local codes and they know how to do it. To save money, you can finish many things, after the framing, electrical and plumbing are done.

Oh, I almost forgot a small detail: have all the money and funds ready, before you start.

I would assume that with the city of Detroit in chapter 11, real estate is weak around Michigan. You could build it for less money that it would cost in a place like New York City.

My first question would be are the footings of sufficient size to carry the load of a 2nd floor?
    John

Not just the footings, but also the walls. In my neighborhood the 1920's era homes are very underbuilt to today's standards.

John and Houston,

If they contact general contractors and architects, they will tell her, after they check, if the whole idea is feasible or not.

I've built a second floor once, sitting on new steel columns, beams and beefed up walls. Let the architect do all the plans, that's his job.

I wasn't inferring it wasn't possible, just things to watch for. Some contractors and architects are better than others.