+ Reply to Thread

Unhappy Leaking skylight every two years

I have a three season porch with a peak roof and a skylight on each side of the peak roof. The roof is made of a thin sheet of aluminum four inches of foam, then another thin sheet of aluminum. Every two years I have to unscrew, clean the surface of the roof and the skylight...Re-silicone surface, then screw the skylight back down. After two years the skylight re-leaks...I was wondering is there a way to make a gasket for the skylight that would last longer than two years before leaking again?

Default Re: Leaking skylight every two years

Grace Ice and Water Shield, it's sold at your local lumber yard and the big box stores

Depending on where it's leaking exactly, your problem could also be the skylight installation and flashing, the caulking type or the caulking application.
    A gasket (foam or rubber) won't solve anything, it will deteriorate quickly.

Try switching to a urethane caulk.

Another thing you could try is window-setting tape like is used on RV's. It's mean for sticking and sealing and it's made for outdoor weather on metal-to-metal surfaces. On RV's it lasts at least ten years, often a lot longer. I have become a fan of Duo-Seal "Siroflex" caulking. It's a silicone/urethane blend and it adheres like nothing else I've ever seen. Perhaps it will do the job for you but I haven't tried it on anything similar.

Phil

Thank you for all your great ideas... I will give them all a try...
    First up will be'
    I will try the window-setting tape like is used on RV's. It is made for outdoor weather on metal-to-metal surfaces
    With a possible ten year pay off.... I will let you all know how it works...