+ Reply to Thread

Default Reprocessed Asphalt

Does anyone know anything about reprocessed asphalt. I saw it in a catalog from the landscaping yard. It looks like aspalt gravel and was just wondering how it gets installed.

Default Re: Reprocessed Asphalt

Reprocessed asphalt is like recycles asphalt. Old asphalt goes through the process of becoming new asphalt. How do they do it? by burning the old and mix it with some new asphalt and oil.

In my city, all street re-paving is done this way. First they cut off about 2" from the street, send it to the reprocessing plant, where it gets cleaned, sorted, and boiled in with new asphalt and oil. When ready it's rough asphalt, they send it back to the street and this becomes the base layer in new pavings.

For whatever purpose you want to use it in your garden, this is practically like "new asphalt".

Default Re: Reprocessed Asphalt

Quote Originally Posted by Summerstreet View Post
    Does anyone know anything about reprocessed asphalt. I saw it in a catalog from the landscaping yard. It looks like aspalt gravel and was just wondering how it gets installed.
    What you describe sounds like common, cheap, aggregate to use instead of gravel. It works reasonably well as a "gravel" for driveways, but be forewarned it will have larger chunks in it too, it won't be screened and perfect like a load of "3/4 minus" or "crush and run". I'm not sure if it gets used as DJ1 suggests, though I suppose it's likely.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!