+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default Garage ceiling insulation and venting

I have a house built in 1995 with an attached 2 1/2 garage. I moved in a little less than two years ago at that time the garage walls were insulated with batt (R19 on shared walls, R11 on non-shared) and covered with OSB. The ceiling in the entire garage has drywall but has not been plastered or painted with about 6" of blown-in in the attic. I would like to use the garage a bit more (northern WI) in the winter for some projects am having some temperature issues.

I'm currently in the process of upgrading the electrical in the garage and as long as I've got every cleaned out of the garage I figured it is as good of a time as any to look at correcting the two other issues I have.

1) along some of the seams in the ceiling I'm seeing water staining, when checking in the attic there is no vapor barrier present, and when checking the roof only one of the 10 or spots was caused by an actual leak a year ago.

Do I need to drop the ceiling to put in a proper vapor barrier before adding more insulation? Or can I just add more blown-in?

2) The garage is a hot-box, there is absolutely no ventilation to speak of anywhere in the main area of the garage. There is a single window which is fixed unfortunately. The soffits are vented and there are inserts in the attic for general attic ventilation.

I'm planning on getting a small portable torpedo heater possibly for the winter, so I would need some ventilation at that point but in general I would I go about adding it in general?

Default Re: Garage ceiling insulation and venting

You need better vents to deal with moisture not caused by roof leaks. You can ask your neighbors and see what they have. Then get some estimates from local contractors.

better soffit venting to cycle the air within attic more often or for within the main area of the garage?

There are various types of vents available, but soffit vent is a must. It has to have some sort of a vent on the top of the roof (ridge vent or electric fan vent) - the two work together.
    Google "roof vents" and read about some options.

Hi consider installing a continuous ride vent. It works verywell and you don not need to replace the roofing except where the vent is installed. Soffit or eve vents need move soffit venting then ridge -chimney effect. Vent first. If you paint the ceiling with a latex paint it then has a vapor barrier... Blown in cellulose after the roof is vented works great and is no pricy- be sure you allow to baffle the soffit vents when insulating so you do not plug them up.
    Any an all of my comments are just my opinion and not to be confused with facts.

Get-r-done,

For temporary heating, try the portable propane units that clamp right on the top of a 20 pound tank. They produce up to 30,000 btu and burn quietly, unlike the roar of a torpedo heater. The oil fired torpedos will also stink the place up with more fumes and the oil smell. 30,000btu is a lot of heat in a garage.

If I were going to have a permanent heater, but to be used only occasionally, I would consider a large 220 volt electric heater. It costs more to operate than gas, but the initial cost is a lot less and the maintenance is minimal. Gas fired units have too many controls and moving parts to go bad.