+ Reply to Thread

Default insulation for metal roof

I would like to convert an attic into living space. The house has a metal roof that is directly on the rafters (2x6). I am trying to decide how to best insulate this before closing it in. There is currently no insulation. I would prefer fiber glass batt insulation, but need to know how thick. Should there be an air space between bare metal and fiber glass? I would use faced batting with facing on interior side (toward room). Some of the insulation will be directly next to metal roof (along slant of roof) and some will leave a small air space (at top of A frame). I plan on using wood paneling to finish walls and ceiling.

Also, I live in southern Louisiana, so ice and snow is not a concern. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Default Re: insulation for metal roof

How noisy is the space currently when it rains? Often I hear of people using an open-cell polyurethane spray foam which beyond the R-value is great at reducing the noise from the metal roofing. I've seen products and some of the big-box improvement stores but haven't had a chance to try the products at all.

Default Re: insulation for metal roof

Paneling will sag from the heat.

In my fair city all living spaces are required to be fully sheathed in drywall, even under any paneling.

Spray foam would be best, followed by a foil backed radiant barrier below the roof rafters.