+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Insurance for homes with bx wiring

We are trying to sell our 1945 built home, and are running into a problem with the buyer getting insurance because of the bx wiring. Everything seems to be up to code, but he ca not find insurance coverage. Any suggestions? Thanks

Default Re: Insurance for homes with bx wiring

Has he checked other insurance companies?

These insurance carriers have their reasons not to insure certain homes. There is almost nothing you can do about it.

Worst case: have the wires replaced, to comply with local codes and insurance company requirements. Sometimes sellers and buyers do things that they don't like to do, so they can close a deal.

This is the first I have heard of this with BX wiring. Have run into it with aluminum wiring. What is the problem with BX?
    John

there has to be an insurance company that covers bx wiring, tons of homes have it.....never heard of this issue before

This is probably just one carrier with an underwriting department that has gone a bit silly.

The buyer may have to seek a new carrier, and maybe a new agent.
    It's this old house, not this built after your dad was born house.

Quote Originally Posted by MLB Construction View Post
    there has to be an insurance company that covers bx wiring, tons of homes have it.....never heard of this issue before
    I guess this is new. Our house actually meets the codes, but insurance companies (multable ones) will not cover. I am sure there is one out there just wanting more money. Just need to find them. No one around here has heard of this either. This is holding up the sale. I am worried. That's why I have reached out for info.

Another question: why can't the buyer continue with your present insurance company? Your house is insured, isn't it?

Never heard of BX being a problem, Are you sure it is not due to the age of the wiring?

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Some very old BX cable has rubber-insulated wires with a cotton overbraid. The insulation can become brittle and crack. The steel jacket can become rusty, compromising its ability to act as a ground. In many installations, the grounding path provided by the steel jacket was incidental rather than planned that way. It may also be the lack of a dedicated grounding conductor that is scaring away the insurance company.

Try the Farm Bureau insurance program in your state (it may be under a different name; in Washington state it's Country Financial). They are usually pretty good about insuring older homes and rural properties.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

Give the insurance companies a few minutes and they may change their minds.

I used to have trouble getting insurance for my home, which I shop for each year. Now there are no problems.