+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default Question on plumber per hr rate.

Good morning. I have a question on plumber per hr rate, what is average? I'm just trying to figure out if an estimate my disabled mother got. She just bought a house and wants to move the washer and dryer to the first floor because she can't walk stairs.

Current washer and dryer is directly below in a unfinished utility room. All copper water lines and current wash tub for drain access is all accessible.. Lines for new laundry room will come up through the floor and not run in the wall. Dryer vent will be easy due to our side wall through sheet Rick and vinal siding

Gas line will be run with the yellow flex line to the dryer. There is a gas line also in the utility room with a T in the line to tap into. It is an extremely simple job .. I know the price of the materials needed, but plumber will end up with $900 labor. Wants $1100 to do the job. He said it will take most of the day..

What is the average rate for a plumber?

Also, the owner who wrote the estimate did not see the job, his employee told him what needed to be done over the phone and he called back withe an estimate.

Thanks.

Default Re: Question on plumber per hr rate.

Call another plumber, what you describe sounds like a recipe for disaster. You should always get at least 3 bids for your project.

It sounds more like half a day's work to me, if he's basically only extending lines 6 to 8 feet. The price may be accurate, but the method in which the bid was given was not acceptable.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

The plumber I use charges $120/hr plus materials; he sends a two-man crew always, unless a small service call, then he comes himself.
    We work on mostly old houses with demanding clients, and his guys can envision ways of running new drains unobtrusively like nobody else can, and their copper work is always beautiful; a vanishing breed of craftsmanship.
    Casey
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

Quote: "It's an extremely simple job"...

Wrong. Any time you extend gas lines, the entire system needs to be pressure tested and signed off - a process that takes days. At least in my city. Check your local codes. When it comes to gas, don't make a mistake.

Now to the money issue: plumbers have an hourly rate, sure they do, but most jobs are priced by the job. Whether it takes a full day or half a day, it's till priced by the job. $1,100 for what you want to do is not high. But still, you need more than one estimate.

Consider a trade like A/C repair and installation in the SUMMER: prices shoot up 1000%, but consumers have a choice, which is not to fix or replace a broken a/c system in the summer and wait for the winter to do it. Not a good choice.

i agree with dj. running new gas line takes a little longer than you might expect due to testing. the price does not sound way out of line. i bet if you get 3 estimates the other two will be within 10% or so of that price. don't forget that even though you're moving the washing machine, basically, straight up, that the vent might have to be redone depending on how long of a run you will now have to the main stack.

there's nothing wrong with asking for an estimate that states, on paper, exactly what the plumber will be doing. for example.

1. disconnect and cap existing drain
    2. run new drain line for washing machine and install new vent
    3. extend water supply lines to new location and install water shutoff valve.
    4. etc
    5. etc

i'm not a plumber, that's just to give you an idea of what you want to see on paper. all my estimates are written like that no matter how petty of a job i'm doing.

also, don't forget that he's running a business. he has cost of materials, he owns all his tools, he has a truck with gas and insurance, he has liability insurance, he went to school to get his license. these are the things that warrant a plumber getting paid between $90 - $120 an hour. also, an estimate is an estimate, not a firm price. when i look at a job that i think will take me 8 hours and it ends up taking me 6 hours, the customer benefits in the end with a lower bill. that's one of the best ways to get repeat customers.

and the rule of thumb for all trades is to ALWAYS get at least 3 estimates.
    Last edited by MLB Construction; 07-20-2013 at 10:49 AM.

I'm with A. Spruce- anyone who bids without seeing themselves is going to either have to pad the price for a worst-case scenario or they haven't been around enough to know this kind of thing. In remodeling and home repairs, there is no 'per-foot' standard, every job is an individual that has to be based on what you've got, and that cannot be determined remotely, even with a description given. I'd be calling three other plumbers and forgetting about using this one.

Phil

Thanks for the info, I still feel is a very easy job. I guess you would have to see it. I going to do it my self if the price does not drop. As for the gas lines again, theY already said they were going to run the lines off the existing t's in the line. And it's just 2 20 foot flexible lines and the floor mounts.

If you look at bathe picture with the dryer vent, new washer and dryer is going just above. Notice the hot and cold water lines below? They are just getting up about 3 foot. And my guess they will end up using pex. The hardest part is the drain, that will have to go to the stack coming out of the floor under the sink to the left of the washer and dryer.

Called another plumber we see what he has to say.

Thanks again.

Geo

Plumbers in my fair city also charge in the $120 / hour range per man. Even for the lunk head on his cell phone, facebooking all day long. $1100 including materials would be a bargain.

As a contractor I smile when I hear "This should be an easy job" In your case its easier than most instances where drains would need to be run to a new area, but its still work, takes a solid knowledge of the plumbing code, insurance, continuing education, getting the proper permits and inspections.

Rpm90001,

If you think plumbers overcharge, see the quotes you'll get from A/C contractors when your air conditioning breaks at 100 degree heat. You'll say that the plumber was a saint.

Quote Originally Posted by Sombreuil_mongrel View Post
    The plumber I use charges $120/hr plus materials; he sends a two-man crew always, unless a small service call, then he comes himself.
    We work on mostly old houses with demanding clients, and his guys can envision ways of running new drains unobtrusively like nobody else can, and their copper work is always beautiful; a vanishing breed of craftsmanship.
    Casey
    That's a great rate for a 2-person crew . . .
    hope not to insult the trades, but I think plumbers & electricians are on the same skill level . . . a free lance & wholesale electrician I've used in NoCal is about $100/hour. My old AAA-owned garage posted their prices at $90/hr for a mechanic, etc.

But like dj1 said, I found pricing is often by job, not effort. I had an old faucet value stem/washer replaced for $178, and 2 laundry supply values replaced for $360, one took about 20 minutes and the other probably around 30 minutes.
    Why I didn't I DIY ? (1) I couldn't figure out the brand of stem & washer so chasing down make & parts (around 1964) just didn't seem feasible. (2) On the laundry supply valves ? also 1964 in the basement; also had the determine dia. size and was afraid of breaking off or distorting the pipe end and having to solder and hassle -- it was insurance against the unexpected, and gave me more time to do other things. (But when you include DIY prep & clean up time, it's like a football game - - 30 seconds of action sandwiched by 2-3 minutes of standing around.)
    Last edited by t_manero; 07-25-2013 at 10:14 AM.