+ Reply to Thread

Default Seepage problem into my Home

I have a problem that I want to fix, that I have had for years. I live in the Dallas Fort Worth area in Texas, and we get some seasonally heavy rains in the spring and fall. Now, when we get some heavy rains, or when it rains for more than a few days, my son's bedroom, and my bathroom will get water seeping in from the outside. These rooms are along the same exterior wall, and from what I can see, the ground does tend to slope too that side of the wall. I have a slab foundation, with a brick home, and from what I can tell, the water is building up against that side of the house, and seeping between the bricks and the foundation. I do not have rain gutters on that side of the house. I do not get a lot of standing water in my front or back yard, however if there are heavy rains, I do get some pretty good standing puddles in the low areas in both yards that stay until they evaporate or dry out, they don’t really drain so to speak.

Now I am not the world’s best handyman, I am more electrically inclined. However I do a lot of my own work around the house, because if I can find instructions or a book to show me how, I can normally do it.

I do have a home depot, and a Lowe’s right up the road, so renting tools or getting parts will not be an issue. If someone can point me in the right direction to fix this problem, it would be great!

Default Re: Seepage problem into my Home

You have a couple of options. The first one is the toughest and most expensive. Change the grade of the land around that side of the house so it slopes away from the house. That would keep the water from pooling up next to the house.

The other thing you could do is dig a trench around the house (about 12-18" deep and a shovel's width) and lay a perforated drainage pipe along that side. They sell them at HD and Lowe's. It's 5" PVC with holes in it. Once you lay it down in the trench, cover it with about 6-8" of crushed rock. Do a neat job of it and it won't look bad. It'll allow the water to flow down into the pipe. You'll have to make sure you elevate the pipe on one end so the water will flow downhill and then put in some flexible PVC of the same diameter.

You'll need to expose the end of the pipe so it will empty out in a more convenient place. You could even cover the end with the crushed rock too, to keep out animals and weeds but let the water drain out.

Good Luck.