+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default is this asbestos?

I just bought a new home that was built in the 20s. At some point in the home's history, there was some type of sheeting applied to the ceiling. Years later (I have no idea when) someone started tearing it down....literally, tearing it. So, I've got about 20% of a basement ceiling covered with with torn up sheeting stapled to the rafters. The material, whatever it is is only about 3/8" thick.

I just dropped off a piece to a lab to be tested for asbestos but won't get the results back for a week and I'm going crazy with fear and anticipation.

I could actually see threads in the material, but I don't know about other old building materials...did other materials have this type of texture?

Below is the best pic I could get. Does anyone have any experience with this? Does it look like asbestos?

Default Re: is this asbestos?

Wait for the test results. It's hard to say from the picture, but I won't be surprised that it contains asbestos.

If it contains asbestos, you have choices on how to handle this, which is a different subject all together. But first wait for the results and while you're waiting avoid walking under this.

dj is 100% correct. the only way to tell for sure is to have it tested. yes it does look like it, very well could be, but no one can say for sure with out testing. that's how we, professional contractors, find out for ourselves.

let us know what the results are and then we can all talk about the options.

I just wanted to follow up on my original post. The test came back positive. the material was 75% asbestos. (I can't remember which type the report indicated at the moment.)

Since the material was already frayed and also covering pipes that I would at some point need access to, there was no way to seal it and it had to be removed. It only took a couple hours so the cost to do so wasn't as horrific as I expected but, nevertheless, I would have preferred to spend the money elsewhere.

My next adventure? The fire damaged beams that have been revealed from under the asbestos! The wood is charred and soft, but I don't know how deep that it runs.

I had noticed the floor in the dining room was bowed up about 1/2 to 3/4" in the center of the room, and no where near the structural supports in the basement. I couldn't figure out if it was just moisture over the years or what. Well, the bowing is right above where the fire was. Mystery solved.

One thing after another....