+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default Repairing several bathroom problems

I own a small rental condo and need to make some repairs in the bathroom: leaks around tub edge show corrosion in floor, cracks on drywall along shower door edge, cracked drywall under basin, tub grout pretty bad, etc. Can someone advise me on how extensively I should approach this project. I don't want to remodel the entire bathroom necessarily but neither do I want to skimp and have problems later (or for the people downstairs!).

Default Re: Repairing several bathroom problems

Welcome,

You'll fare better over at the John Bridge Tile Forum where you can start your own thread, post pictures and get advice specific to your project.

I suspect you have the beginning to middle stages of water penetration. Since this is a condo, I wouldn't touch this without a complete re-do, as there would be no way to guarantee success without knowing how the initial waterproofing was done.

Tile + grout + sealant + cement board is NOT waterproof (as you already found out)

Without seeing the damage firsthand, it is tough to assess just how bad it is, however, your description does sound like a total redo.

1 - If there are grout issues with the tile, then water is undoubtedly getting behind the tile - not good. Knock on the individual tiles and check if there is a hollow sound, if so, bad news, total replacement time, especially if tile is glued directly to the drywall.

2 - Damage on the outside of the enclosure indicates lack of sealant along door/wall. If it's just the paint that has bubbled and let go, no problem, prep and repaint, if the paper on the drywall has been damage, or the wallboard is crumbling, then the damaged wall will have to be removed and patched back together.

3 - Corrosion at bottom edge of tub, hard to say, could just be from the leaking door and surface damage. If the floor is swollen or has a hollow knock to it, then it's time to pull the flooring and assess the damage.

4 - Damage behind sink, drywall replacement as necessary.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Landlords always look for ways to save on upgrades/repairs in their rental units and still be able to rent them quickly.
    But always stand back and ask your self this: Would I pay this much rent for this home? By doing so, you put yourself in the tenants' shoes, and see things the way they see them.

My approach is: always make the home as perfect as you can, subject to your budget. Never leave things undone that might lead to bigger damages.

Fix the bathroom like spruce recommended, and see how fast the place gets rented.

***, how reassuring to get all of your input; I really appreciate all of your comments and how specific they were even though I couldn't attach images ( I'm new and still need to learn how to do that). And, yes; since I need to make these repairs, I want to make sure I do what is necessary and that it be done correctly this time.
    Again, thanks so, so much!
    Dolores

You are welcome for the advice.

As for posting images, the easiest and best way to do that is to host them ****** somewhere, such as Tumbler, imagehost, etc., then you simply place a link here to them or insert them into your post.

As to your bathroom issues, I would recommend having at least three general contractors come out and take a look to assess the damage and provide bids for repairs. Choose the contractor based on how you feel about them being in your home unattended and the thoroughness of both their site visit and their bid. Choosing a bid based on price alone is an extremely bad way to go about it, price alone does not guarantee the quality of craftsmanship (good or bad).

Good luck and keep us apprised of your progress.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!