+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Really Weird Electrical Problem in My Home

Hello! I have a troubleshooting question I have a home built around 1997. Receptacles gradually quit working in the master bedroom and bath. Well, the receptacles still work, but they aren't getting any power. I wired a new circuit from the box and tapped into the existing line (disconnected old circuit) where the line goes into the living area from the fuse box in the garage and the receptacles worked again for probably 6 mths, but then stopped again. It has now spread to some kitchen receptacles. I thought maybe rodents, but there are no signs of droppings even in areas where I have cut holes in the drywall to try and access the circuit's wiring. A couple of electricians have come out to no avail. I am hoping someone here might have experienced the same issue and found a solution. Thanks!

Default Re: Really Weird Electrical Problem in My Home

Have you tried simply changing the receptacles as they go out? Also have you tried checking to see if the line itsself is energized at the box that houses each receptacle?

You might just have garbage receptacles, but if more than one or two go bad that seems unlikely.
    It's this old house, not this built after your dad was born house.

A common complaint for receptacles installed using the stab connectors instead of the screws.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

If a receptacle works fine then quits after 6 months, you got to think that the connections are bad. Check the connections. If they stab connections, change them to the screw connections, like jack mentioned.

Stab connections are not to code in my fair city

Legal or not, stab connections are awful and need to be made illegal. They are some engineer's idea of a way to save money that makes something simple more complex with no thought about the long-term effects in the real world.

Another 'fix' for something that wasn't broke, a common personality flaw found in most engineers

Phil

One more thing: the stab system only works for thin 14 gauge wires, making it practically useless these days. And to release the wire you need a tiny little flat screwdriver, that you can never find in the tool box...

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    One more thing: the stab system only works for thin 14 gauge wires, making it practically useless these days. And to release the wire you need a tiny little flat screwdriver, that you can never find in the tool box...
    . . . and even when you find the screwdriver, the connections often don't want to let go without a LOT of wiggling, which eventually cracks the cheap plastic on the bargain bin receptacle, meaning you fave to throw the fracking thing away even if you liked it
    It's this old house, not this built after your dad was born house.

function,

I have so many tools, but every time I need a tool I rarely use, I can't find it...you too?

We use them little screw drivers all the time. Your better bathroom trim fixtures sometimes come with a shiny new one inside the box.