+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: roof sealing

Default roof sealing

Can anyone suggest to me what the best product is for sealing any vent pipe that goes through your roof?
    peace,
    Sophie

Default Re: roof sealing

a rubber boot with a metal flange. only costs about $15

Flat roof or pitched roof?

What type of roof, is there flashing around this vent pipe already?
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MLB Construction View Post
    These are the best!

Quote Originally Posted by MLB Construction View Post
    I know it is not a rubber boot. I have one of those on the plastic vent pipe that goes through my roof.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRemodeler View Post
    Flat roof or pitched roof?
    Pitched roof.

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    What type of roof, is there flashing around this vent pipe already?
    Standing seam metal roof. Guess I should have given more info......this is a stainless steel double wall vent pipe for a gas tankless water heater. There is some type of special flashing thing I had to purchase. But it is leaking.
    peace,
    Sophie

Yes, the manufacturer of the pipe will have a stainless steel flange for your roof.

Granted you'll be crying when you hear the price, but that is what you'll need.

"Standing seam metal roof. Guess I should have given more info......this is a stainless steel double wall vent pipe for a gas tankless water heater. There is some type of special flashing thing I had to purchase. But it is leaking"

Sophie, you ended up putting a metal roof? all along I thought that you were going with shingles.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRemodeler View Post
    Yes, the manufacturer of the pipe will have a stainless steel flange for your roof.

Granted you'll be crying when you hear the price, but that is what you'll need.
    It is what it is! LOL Didn't cry....already have it....bought it back 2 years ago and it is already installed.....has been up there for almost 2 years now.

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    "Standing seam metal roof. Guess I should have given more info......this is a stainless steel double wall vent pipe for a gas tankless water heater. There is some type of special flashing thing I had to purchase. But it is leaking"

Sophie, you ended up putting a metal roof? all along I thought that you were going with shingles.
    Yes, dj......I never had any intention of putting a shingle roof on my house. I always said if I ever had to remove those concrete tiles from my roof I would go with a standing seam metal roof.....and I did.

With that being said......what type of sealant should be used? I think the plumber that installed it used a simple caulk, since he mentioned to me that it doesn't last and will eventually break down. Well, why did you use that?! Anyway, he asked me if I had some silicone to put up there. He's been scheduled to come by and seal it again a couple times and has been a no show. It is one of those situations where "if you want something done right, do it yourself".
    peace,
    Sophie

Silane or urethane caulks are best. You might need backer rod or foam to not have huge goobers of caulk.