+ Reply to Thread

Default Can I connect a yard drain to a sewer drain?

Hi,
    I'd like to install a yard drain in my backyard & was wondering if I'd be able to connect it to an existing sewer outlet drain in my backyard? A previous owner used to keep his RV in the back & used it to empty his RV waste. I have concerns about smell, back-ups, etc. Anyone think they can help?
    Thanks,
    Josh

Default Re: Can I connect a yard drain to a sewer drain?

Quote Originally Posted by Josh311 View Post
    Hi,
    I'd like to install a yard drain in my backyard & was wondering if I'd be able to connect it to an existing sewer outlet drain in my backyard? A previous owner used to keep his RV in the back & used it to empty his RV waste. I have concerns about smell, back-ups, etc. Anyone think they can help?
    Thanks,
    Josh
    You could, if you install a trap and a proper vent to prevent sewer gas from escaping from the drain.

However, it may be illegal where you live. Stormwater in sanitary sewers is a big problem for treatment plants, because it creates additional expense that must be borne by water ratepayers and taxpayers. In some cases, too much stormwater can overwhelm the treatment plant, causing untreated sewage to flow into waterways where it can contaminate drinking water supplies.

You definitely don't want to do it if you are on a private septic system. It will not be able to handle the influx of stormwater, will cause failure of the septic system, and will result in unsanitary conditions in your yard.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

Its against code in my fair city.

Check with your local building division.

You can't divert to sewer systems, but you can usually divert to water runoff systems. That grate in the street in front of your house is a storm drain, not a sewer drain. You probably can't connect directly with such a system, but you can certainly drain your property in such a manner that your runoff is diverted into a storm system.

As was said, know your local restrictions.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Josh311 View Post
    Hi,
    Thanks,
    Josh
    not in massachusetts

In my city, runoff water goes to the ocean, but sewage water does not. Can't combine the two systems.