+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Turning 30 amp 220 plug into standard single 20 amp outlet.

This is part 2 of a stove issue. House came with built in range, direct wired in a 30 amp 220 circuit with #8 wire 3 wire plus ground. We have decided to install a gas stove, and need a standard outlet to plug the stove into.

My question is, is there a way to turn the 30 amp 220 receptical into a standard 20 amp receptical? I know it's possible, but never heard if it done. Just looking for opinions, concerns,tips..
    Can & should it be done?

Thanks,,

Geo

Default Re: Turning 30 amp 220 plug into standard single 20 amp outlet.

You can, but you don't want to.

The reason why not? The new 20 amp outlet will have the wiring and breaker for a 30 amp which will make the job of the breaker and the wire ineffective at 20 amps, which trip at lower ratings.

Anything's possible. How much money do you have?

To hook this up, you'll need to connect either the red or the black (hot) wire to the g0ld-colored screw on the outlet; the white (neutral) to the silver-colored screw. Tape up the end of the remaining wire. In the circuit-breaker panel, connect the corresponding (black or red) wire to a 20A single-pole circuit breaker. Tape up the other wire. (Do not cut the wires, so you can put everything back the way it was later.)

Alternatively, get a range cord, connect it to the input terminals of a small circuit breaker box (like you might use for an outdoor AC unit). Install a 20A single-pole breaker, and attach a single-gang "handy box" to the breaker box, with a 120V receptacle installed. Plug this assembly into the range outlet. (The disadvantage is that it's big and bulky.)
    Last edited by Fencepost; 07-18-2013 at 04:32 PM.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

I'd leave it alone, and simply bring in a new outlet for the gas stove. Gas stoves use very small amount of electricity for light and electronic ignition only.

If you are not familiar with this, have an electrician install it for you.

I'm with dj1 if you have the extra breaker space, but if you don't then be sure that the replaced dual-breaker is rated the same as the outlet (should be 20A). With the small load the panel shouldn't become imbalanced but it's good to look and see while you're in there- you never know what was done before you ca`me onto the scene!

Phil

Thanks, I know I couldn't use the 30 amp breaker. I was going to replace it with a single 20 amp breaker, and use the over kill 8 gauge wire already run through the walls, with a regular outlet. Basically just use the existing 8 gauge. I think it would be hard to wire the outlet with 8 gauge, Is pig tailing acceptable? I will have enough room due to the over sized box at the receptical. I know how to do it, just don't know if its an acceptable practice. Code issues with leaving the red wire disconnected and wire nutted.

I don't know why you couldn't pigtail the black and cap the red wire, but then again I'm not an electrician or an electrical inspector so my qualifications for giving free advice are suspect. It's fairly common practice to leave live wires terminated with a wire nut (as long as it's in an accessible j-box!).

One thing you do NOT want to do is connect aluminum wire to copper wire without a proper connector that's rated for that specific scenario. The rated connector must be installed properly to prevent electrolytic corrosion.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

Glad you mentioned the Cu-Al issue Fencepost- I'd forgotten that many stove and dryer feeds are Al and require special procedures.

Phil

Ok it's been a while, this weekend I will be changing it to a single 20 amp outlet. Thank you for the help.

I think a few of you are confused on what I want to do. I know how to do this, been wiring for 30 years on a personal level. My question is, is their a reason not to do it. Some type of code issue... Let me put it another way..forget the stove.

I want to use existing the 8 gauge run with a 20 amp breaker in the box if 8 g fits in the breaker. And at the other end a 20 amp receptacle Here I will pigtail 2 short prices of 12 gauge to the 8 gauge to connect the receptacle. Basically I'm just using to oversized wire and pigtail. 8 gauge on a 20 amp breaker.

It will only power the electronics of a gas stove. Both the basement and attic are finished and will require cutting into walls to run a new line.

If their is a reason no to do this, please let me know why. Not to argue, just so I know why. Its a big job to run a new circuit due to finished upper and lower level, 1/2 hr to swap breaker and receptacle.

Wire is all copper.
    Thank you. George
    Last edited by Rpm90001; 09-14-2013 at 09:15 AM.

Two problems, the 8 gauge wire will probably not fit in the 20 amp breaker and it deffenutly will not fit the crews of a 20 amp receptacle. Pig tailing is possible and allowed as long as the breaker is sized for the smaller wire and receptacle. One reason I don't like it is the the next person may see the large wire at the breaker and think it is OK to up the breaker.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb