+ Reply to Thread

Default I can't figure out how to remove my old kitchen sink.

Hello,
    My wife and I are remodeling our 50s era kitchen and we decided to keep the vintage Youngstown metal cabinets. Right now I'm in the process of removing the old porcelain sink. I can't for the life of me figure out how it is attached! There are no clips, no screws, nothing. I'm ready to get out the sawzall but I'd hate to cut out pieces that might hold structural integrity. Has anyone delt with this before?

I realize pics might help but I'm at work... I can try and post some later tonight.

Thanks
    Aug

Default Re: I can't figure out how to remove my old kitchen sink.

If it is a top mount - sitting on the countertop's surface, then it is held by caulk around the lip and it's own weight. If it is a flush or under-mounted sink, then there will be hardware of some sort to remove.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Thanks for the reply!

The sink spans the entire width and depth of the metal base cabinet. It looks something like this http://www.flickr.com/photos/lmrrestor/5580867263/

Is it possible there are male and female locking clips and the sink/base were never meant to be separated?

Based on the pic in the link, what you've got might be one piece and made to fit the cabinet. In that case it's either finding an exact replacement, a refinishing of what you've got, or going bold and cutting a hole for a new top-mount sink to fit the countertop you have. I'd investigate the first and if it was unfeasible, then I'd go for the last. Refinished porcelain doesn't look or work so well but it may be good enough for you.

I'm not sure what would cut the material best, as normal metal-cutting blades would likely chip the porcelain overlay. Perhaps going slowly with a diamond blade or a grit blade would work- I've never tried this on what you've got but it works well on metal alone

Phil

I'm used to the common kitchen sinks: those which are mounted over the counter and those which are mounted under the counter.

Your sink resembles culture marble bathroom sinks - one piece counter and sink.

If you are re-doing your old kitchen, this sink is not worth saving. For about $100 you can get a nice stainless steel sink and for about $350 you can get a very good cast iron sink. Other sinks are not worth mentioning, IMO.

When installing a new sink and a new counter top, don't forget NEW drain set, NEW faucet and other functional fixture you want.