+ Reply to Thread

Default Help with Tricky Question: Clear Protection for Primed Cedar Shingles

Hi! I've scanned the web and can't find any info...perhaps someone on TOH can help me?

I had my Boston house covered with *primed* cedar shingles. The color is an attractive bluish-grey with a brushed-on look. I planned to have it painted, but my wife has rejected every color I presented. Finally, I realized she likes the look of the prime itself! So, I want to cover the primed shingles with a layer of clear protection, to protect it while maintaining the look. Any ideas?

I wonder if I'm the only crazy guy trying to do this...it's like trying to pass off a nice pair of boxers as short pants! 8)

Default Re: Help with Tricky Question: Clear Protection for Primed Cedar Shingles

It is always the best thing to agree with your spouse. So I suggest to leave it primed and I would ask your local Paint Supplier for suggestions for a good quality clear sealant Hope this helped.

Default Re: Help with Tricky Question: Clear Protection for Primed Cedar Shingles

do not leave it primed and do not try to seal the shingles.

very simple solution as follows. take a shingle to your paint store, have them match the primer color, which is a flat paint, and have them mix you the same color in an exterior grade finish paint with a flat finish. it will look exactly the same but your shingles will be protected for another 5-7 years. primers do not have UV protection built into them, exterior grade finish paints do. if you leave it as is or seal it, i can assure you that you won't be happy with the results when you're done or especially a year or two from now.

Hello MLB, thanks for the advice. This morning, I actually went to City Paint and asked them this question and they recommended Benjamin Moore Arborcoat clear stain. Just now, I called Benjamin Moore to confirm whether Arborcoat would work, and they said no, because Arborcoat is only for application on wood, not on primer.

Bottom line: your advice is looking better and better. The reason why I hesitate is because the primed shingles have an interesting weathered look which cannot be reproduced with a total re-paint. I'll try to insert a photo.

Thanks for your help!

Quote Originally Posted by MLB Construction View Post
    do not leave it primed and do not try to seal the shingles.

very simple solution as follows. take a shingle to your paint store, have them match the primer color, which is a flat paint, and have them mix you the same color in an exterior grade finish paint with a flat finish. it will look exactly the same but your shingles will be protected for another 5-7 years. primers do not have UV protection built into them, exterior grade finish paints do. if you leave it as is or seal it, i can assure you that you won't be happy with the results when you're done or especially a year or two from now.