+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Siding

Default Siding

We purchased a 1942 farm house 25' x 25' I went to get estimates on putting new siding on the house.
    One contractor said we should take off the old wood lathe siding and put insulation board and put vinyl
    siding on and the other contractor said ..Leave the old siding on as it is a better insulator and we
    will put an insulation board over the top and then the vinyl siding. I say we should leave the old
    lathe siding on and my husband wants to take it off. Please help us to decide which way to go.

Default Re: Siding

the proper way to do it is to remove the existing siding. there are many reasons for this.

1. any problems behind the siding can be repaired
    2. a proper vapor barrier can be installed correctly
    3. you can still add an extra layer of solid core foam insulation
    4. you will be much happier with how the siding looks up against the windows and doors
    5. the vinyl siding lays much better over a flat surface than over existing siding

if you decide to go over the siding and you're not happy with the way it looks you won't be able to blame anyone on this forum, or your husband, just yourself. the correct way will make everyone happy.

Agree, for all reasons mentioned, and...

You'll get a chance to inspect, replace, upgrade and improve things that you normally can't when covered: plumbing, electrical, insulation, ducts, cable/phone wires, other built ins, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by MLB Construction View Post
    the proper way to do it is to remove the existing siding. there are many reasons for this.

1. any problems behind the siding can be repaired
    2. a proper vapor barrier can be installed correctly
    3. you can still add an extra layer of solid core foam insulation
    4. you will be much happier with how the siding looks up against the windows and doors
    5. the vinyl siding lays much better over a flat surface than over existing siding

if you decide to go over the siding and you're not happy with the way it looks you won't be able to blame anyone on this forum, or your husband, just yourself. the correct way will make everyone happy.
    Always like professional opinions,, Thanks for the Reply my first post and I am going to love this site. THANKS TOH

In my fair city, which is in Hurricane Zone 2, we are required to have at least 1/2" plywood on the corners of the building. The foam boards can be over the studs after the corner 4' is in place OR more usually, not put on at all and the entire exterior is sheathed with 1/2" for strength as it turns the wall into a sheer wall.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRemodeler View Post
    In my fair city, which is in Hurricane Zone 2, we are required to have at least 1/2" plywood on the corners of the building. The foam boards can be over the studs after the corner 4' is in place OR more usually, not put on at all and the entire exterior is sheathed with 1/2" for strength as it turns the wall into a sheer wall.
    interesting....never heard of that before

Zone 1 is plywood all around

I refuse to go with anything except 100% plywood or OSB sheathing on what I build or remodel. It adds a lot of structural strength which is never a bad idea. It can resist a bowing stud- styro, exterior sheetrock, or celotex cannot. Pick your siding, then do what the manufacturer of it tells you to do- they will all recommend full wood sheathing as best and that goes with all types of siding.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Mastercarpentry View Post
    I refuse to go with anything except 100% plywood or OSB sheathing on what I build or remodel. It adds a lot of structural strength which is never a bad idea. It can resist a bowing stud- styro, exterior sheetrock, or celotex cannot. Pick your siding, then do what the manufacturer of it tells you to do- they will all recommend full wood sheathing as best and that goes with all types of siding.

Phil
    That's a very good advice, except I'd go with plywood. For a few dollars more than OSB, you get a lot more.

In my city, more and more projects require plywood on all exterior walls.

I much prefer plywood too, but cost can become a sticking point when making a bid on a job. I'd love to do them all as well as is possible but I'm competing with people who won't so some compromises must be made to keep food on my table. The best I can do is make sure those compromises aren't big enough to cause headaches later on for me or the customer. I've found that where I am, OSB is acceptable except at lakefront properties and some mountain valley locations where fog and and atmospheric humidity conditions can be an issue. If I had my 'druthers' I'd use marine plywood everywhere on the exterior of a house, but nobody is going to pay for that so some compromise is always going to happen. It's just how much, where, and am I going to put my name on it by taking the job

Phil