+ Reply to Thread

Default Patchy lead paint problem.

I'm in a 1948 house. I removed wallpaper from our kitchen and in one area it chipped off some of the paint beneath in big ugly patches. I think it's safe to assume that the paint it chipped off is lead-based since it is definitely right over the plaster and looks very old (and is a very 50s shade of green).I went to the Home Depot and a guy there said to prime the wall and then skim coat over it, which, although I would have loved to skip the step, I'm happy to do.

I cleaned all of the wallpaper glue off of the wall, sc****d back the paint to where it firmly adhered to the wall and put a layer of water-based primer. HOWEVER, when I did that, the edges of the paint blistered up. So I sc****d that back and tried priming again. The same thing happened.

So, should I: 1) Try to just sc**** the paint off (which I'm not excited about since it is almost definitely lead paint) 2) go ahead and skim coat over it (which seems stupid because it's not adhering to the wall) 3) Problem solve this in another way.

Default Re: Patchy lead paint problem.

Wetting the plaster makes the lead based oil paint bubble off the wall. So wet the walls (cover the areas with sheet plastic to help hold the water in) then peel the rest of the paint off.

Default Re: Patchy lead paint problem.

Use an oil based primer such as CoverStain to seal in those areas. Once protected with the oil primer, you can finish with acrylic paint.