+ Reply to Thread

Default How do I remove a stuck plunger in a bathtub drain?

The drain lever for the bathtub is stuck, so the water won't drain. I unscrewed the face plate for the lever and their is a chain that connects down to the plunger or stopper (whatever you call it).

I can't pull the plunger out. It's stuck. Should I pull harder? I'm afraid the chain connected to it might break.

There is an access panel on the wall on the other side. There is this big pipe. I'm afraid to take a wrench to open those pipes up.

Should I just call a plumber?
    Last edited by anderzoho; 07-18-2013 at 07:31 PM.

Default Re: How do I remove a stuck plunger in a bathtub drain?

There are a number of penetrating lubricants you can try first. Go to the local Hardware store and pick your favorite. Let us know how that works.

if your setup is so old that there's a chain, i would advise calling a plumber. if you try taking it apart without knowing EXACTLY what you're doing, the pipe could break. i think you should call a plumber. it's normally about an hour to an hour and a half if the drain setup has to be replaced.

I agree with MLB, I just don't think that a lubricant will free the plunger.
    With limited access from the back, even an experienced plumber will have a hard time with an older drain set up, but do yourself a favor, don't get into it yourself. Call a plumber.