+ Reply to Thread

Smile Replacing two 8' garage doors with one 16' door.

I would like to replace my two doors with one wide door. There is an A frame roof on top of the garage. Could you guide me on hiring the correct contractor. THANKS

Default Re: Replacing two 8' garage doors with one 16' door.

This can be done, assuming the two doors are on the same elevation.
    A new header must be installed, and the post/wall between the two doors removed. The header can be 4x, glue lam beam or iron post/beam.

Contact reliable general contractors or experienced framers. Pay attention to details, because there's plenty that can go wrong if it's done incorrectly.

You may also have to get approval and inspection from the local building authority. It can be done, just needs to be done correctly. The last thing you want is a sagging header.

While it is frequently done, I don't like garage doors that span more than 12' because they are considerably weaker and generally need replacement sooner. Plus they weigh more so the opener has to work a lot harder as does the track and hanging system. While none of that is insurmountable it doesn't make the situation as ideal as it might be.

Where I live, fairly strong wind events are not unknown and when they cause a garage door to fail it can lead to lifting and removal of the roof if there are no 'hurricane clips' on the trusses/rafters. In fact, besides falling trees most wind-caused structural home damage happens just this way according to NWS studies, so that may be something else to think about before widening the opening.

Anything is possible with enough time and money thrown at it but that doesn't always make something a good idea.

Phil

I have a 16' door.

1- Light as a feather

2- Opens with a regular opener

3- About as secure as a wet paper bag.

I noticed that there are more single garage doors than double garage doors in the east coast. I think it has to do with the harsh weather conditions.

Out here, double garage doors are more popular.