+ Reply to Thread

Default A kitchen challenge - a new under the counter microwave for my old kitchen

Hello! I have a challenge for you guys. Hopefully you can help me out.

My new, old house was built in 1952 and only had one owner. Everything is pretty much original to the house. I'm not sure when the microwave found it's way into the house - but it is OLD SCHOOL. There's an on/off switch that works completely independent of the timer. And opening it won't shut the unit off! Made that mistake the first night - whoops!

So as much as I love antiques, I want to get rid of it. Here's my challenge.

-The cabinet the microwave is hanging under is custom. We're the owners of a genuine St. Charles kitchen, where every cabinet was custom metal. The microwave is mounted under a cabinet with a built in vent. Mounting a shelf for a microwave to sit under is kind of out of the question.
    -Being as it's a short cabinet, I'd like to get a microwave that will mount under it.
    -The space is just too short for an 'over the range' cabinet. So we need a smaller unit.
    -The kitchen remodel is like three years down the road. We can't afford to do anything too wacky.

Essentially I really need to get an updated version of what's hanging there right now. I've been having the hardest time trying to sort this out! Amazon has some under counter mounting kits but the thing is... the model numbers they're all good for have really poor ratings! It's a weird situation, so any help to be offered would be amazing. Thanks in advance.

Default Re: A kitchen challenge - a new under the counter microwave for my old kitchen

You will have to learn to compromise, improvise and be resourceful. Unless you re-do the whole kitchen.

In Cuba, auto mechanics fit Ford parts on Chevy cars, or Chevy parts on Fords, because they don't have any other choice. While I don't suggest you do that, you get my point.

Default Re: A kitchen challenge - a new under the counter microwave for my old kitchen

a picture or a link to a picture would be a huge help. you're description is just "ok"....seeing it would bring you many ideas on this forum, hopefully.

What you do here is first decide if the new microwave is going to be included in future remodels. If not, anything that fits will do for the duration. Look at the dimensions (including mounting systems, venting and electrical connections) so that you know what will work and what won't. Make a list of the 'possibles' and choose from that list.

If you plan for a wholesale cabinet remodel later on, then altering your existing cabinets is an option so long as you can live with it till then. In that case, get the unit you will use then now because it's going to cost more later on if the history of inflation doesn't change (which sadly it won't).

Phil