+ Reply to Thread

Default Asbestos cement siding found under brick veneer wall

We have a 1959 home and started interior renovations.

We discovered the home was originally wood framed with asbestos cement siding.

The house was wrapped in a brick veneer (full size brick).

We now want to know what we should do to prevent the asbestos fibers from entering into the home. The walls have been stripped to bare stud.

Options? Ideas?

Default Re: Asbestos cement siding found under brick veneer wall

There is nothing to do.

Asbestos fibers don't grind themselves into airborne particles by themselves. As long as you don't crush, spindle or mutilate the old asbestos shingles, they are perfectly happy to live their lives out in the cool darkness behind the bricks.... waiting. Waiting for the day to be set free from the masonry prison where they are now entombed. When asbestos isn't hated anymore for being the toxic carcinogen God made it to be.

Seriously. Leave the stuff alone.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRemodeler View Post
    There is nothing to do.

Asbestos fibers don't grind themselves into airborne particles by themselves. As long as you don't crush, spindle or mutilate the old asbestos shingles, they are perfectly happy to live their lives out in the cool darkness behind the bricks.... waiting. Waiting for the day to be set free from the masonry prison where they are now entombed. When asbestos isn't hated anymore for being the toxic carcinogen God made it to be.

Seriously. Leave the stuff alone.
    that was beautiful.....i think i'm going to cry

Just my 2 cents: asbestos is a tremendous insulator, and as long as you leave it covered and undisturbed, you're safe.