+ Reply to Thread

Default Replacing Jenn air range but don't want another Jenn air

We are wondering how to put in a traditional 30" range where there is now an old Jenn air range with a middle vent. It is not yet our house so excuse my ignorance.
    It is in the middle of the counter and I assume is vented outside but not via an over head vent.
    I don't want another middle vent in my range and am looking at an NXR model I really like.
    Any insight would be great?
    Doc

Default Re: Replacing Jenn air range but don't want another Jenn air

What you have is called a "down draft" cooktop, and they are very poor at removing cooking vapor and odor because 99% of what you want to vent is above the cooktop, not below it. As for choosing a different model, you can have whatever you like, what is in question is whether or not you can sufficiently vent vapor/gases when cooking.

If you can install an overhead exhaust vent, this would be far better than your current set up.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Default Re: Replacing Jenn air range but don't want another Jenn air

First, buy the house.

After you close escrow, if you want to replace the range with a modern one, you may need to modify the venting and the power source.

If your goal is to force gasses and odors out, you need a hooded vent, like the one you liked. A skilled handyman can install it for you, since it would require cutting in multiple places, including the roof.