+ Reply to Thread

Question Best places to buy a washing machine?

From your experience, what are the best places to buy a washing machine. I am looking for a basic top loader model. I bought a GE 3.9 cu ft washer at Loews, but I've had to send the washer back twice. The water runs in and runs out the back hose without doing anything else. Thanks.

Default Re: Best places to buy a washing machine?

We talked about washing machines in the past, so you may want to research this subject.

If you ask "where is the best place to buy", you have to be clear about what is "best". Best price? best delivery and installation? and so forth.

If all you need is a basic unit, check outlets like Sears, Lowes, HD, major appliance stores and on line. They all run specials from time to time.

I'm not surprised that your GE malfunctioned, every manufacturer turns out lemons, but it was supposed to be under warranty if you bought it new.

As a slumlord, I buy many appliances.

Home depot is my usual place as their service is best and I am inside the store a few days a week.

Sears, Lowe's, Home Depot, and regional chains like Fry's, Best Buy's and HHGregg are good alternatives plus your local multi-store retailers.

Your problem is not Lowe's - - they didn't make the washers; the odds are very low that 2 new washers have the SAME problem and basic models have low tech electromechanical parts that are more reliable than digital units, but you seemed to have drawn the royal flush (no pun intended).

I would say that any models they mark as "special price" or "sale" are priced well. You can typically order it on line or be a liberal and go in to a store so a salesperson can get a commission or sales quota from your sale . . . but the drawbacks are (1) Sears & Best Buy salespersons will hard tackle you and waste 15 minutes of your time trying to sell you warranties, and (2) it may not be in stock by the time you go (use the internet to confirm availability).

Washers now (generally) come with 1-year warranty (maybe a premium credit card will double to 2 years), and I recommend one to extend it to 5 years. HD & Lowe's price their warranties fairly ($99 to $119), but my experience with Sears is that they are 50-80% higher. Lowe's and Sears "own" their warranty business while others may sell a 3rd party contract and they have nothing to do with customer or claims service.

I suspect you want the lowest delivered price so you will likely decline the 5-year warranty -- big appliance warranties are the only extended warranties I buy. Modern white goods appliances have a 8-15% chance of suffering a major problem within 5 years, but your basic model has less complexity and cheaper parts to be competitive in that price sensitive segment -- you decide.

Finally, look at delivery (and haulaway which you don't have here) which is typically $75. Again, Lowe's & HD often offer "free" delivery (timing is everything, maybe not free in the week you want to buy); and again, my experience with Sears is the worse, where they'll have "free" after you mail in a rebate form within 10-30 days (they expect a large number of people not be submit or submit late and pocket the money) - - that's one reason I stop buying from them (besides warranties sales practice & price of their warranties).

I've been buying marked down major appliances from Lowes for a long time. Only lowes offers in store clearances so they are more convenient than other stores which pull them out and send them to some far away outlet centers (like Sears). They still carry the same warranty, and they are good enough for a rental, if they have a dent or a scratch in invisible spots.

I will suggest you Home Depot, as I always prefer this place for our electronic appliances. But I also think you have to search ****** as is the best method to get an idea.

Quote Originally Posted by rosy View Post
    From your experience, what are the best places to buy a washing machine. I am looking for a basic top loader model. I bought a GE 3.9 cu ft washer at Loews, but I've had to send the washer back twice. The water runs in and runs out the back hose without doing anything else. Thanks.
    Are you sure that the drain connection was high enough. If the drain was too low water would run out. the drain should have been at lest 30 inches off the floor I usually go 40 inches myself.

Don't buy anything that involves power (electric, gas, battery) from Sears. Their service dept. is worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by jdyoder32 View Post
    Don't buy anything that involves power (electric, gas, battery) from Sears. Their service dept. is worthless.
    Buying an appliance at Sears and calling Sears for service a two different things.

You don't have to call Sears Service under warranty, even if you bought the appliance at Sears. For warranty work, call the manufacturer, most of them have their own repair network.

Quote Originally Posted by bill shack View Post
    Are you sure that the drain connection was high enough. If the drain was too low water would run out. the drain should have been at lest 30 inches off the floor I usually go 40 inches myself.
    ^^^ This.

The washer drain must loop above (and the end of the drain hose should be above) the highest water level in the washer tub. There also needs to be a siphon break of some sort, which can simply be the end of the hose being hooked into a larger open standpipe. Otherwise it can siphon all the water out.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.