Default Composite deck over concrete patio?

My threshold from the house to the concrete patio slab is 3". I want to put a Trex like deck over the slab. The slab is approximatly 16'x16'. I have read that adding a deck with such low cleareance is a bad idea due to mold. I live in Orange county, Ca and it is pretty dry. Little rain and less humidity. I was thinking of running treated 2x4's flat for and inch and a half height then adding the 7/8" Compostite on top with hidden t-fasteners. What do you think? Tearing up the concrete is really not an option.
    Could I put some kind of 1/2" or 1/4" blocking under the 2x4 joists if you will to help with air movement?

With the 1.5" 2x4 flat and the 7/8" composite deck I only have about 1/2" left over before I get to the level of the house threshold.

Default Re: Composite deck over concrete patio?

sounds like a good plan to me. no need to put anything under the 2x4's as long as they're pressure treated

How would you suggest I fasten the 2x4's to the patio?

build a framework with sleepers 16" on center and screw or nail it together. use a ramset or concrete anchors to secure the sleepers to the concrete after you have your frame all together and squared up.

I have done this very thing, though I wouldn't use PT 2x4, I would use solid Trex. While Trex is not structural, it doesn't have to be in this instance, you're getting all that from the concrete patio.
    Come to Hidden Content for all your DIY needs

I would use composite too and seal the outside so no unwanted/nonpaying tenants move in under the deck.