+ Reply to Thread

Default Please help identify this tool/object

Can anyone please help identify this tool/object? It was found in the attic of the old house we purchased. I have passed it around to numerous friends and no one seems to have a clue. Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0330.jpg 
Views:	521 
Size:	17.1 KB 
ID:	2420   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0332.jpg 
Views:	364 
Size:	10.5 KB 
ID:	2421  

Default Re: Please help identify this tool/object

Can you post a couple pictures of the business end (in your right hand )? Can't really tell what that part is.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Doesn't look like a tool at all looks like finished wood piece from furniture like a leg or post.

Might be a hinged turned table leg support for a dropped leaf coffee or tea table or a tray table like a butler table. The side in your right hand looks like it has a hinge cap to rest over a dowel or pin on the underside of the leaf. The end nearest the turnings with the rounded end looks like it would sit on the floor might be finished that way with a ball foot so won't make a wear mark or scuff on the floor when it is swung into position under the table leaf.

Might also have been attached to a pivoting leaf support hinged and swung out from the main frame of the table to support the leaf then this leg dropped down and sat in place and was held there by the weight of the table leaf above.

Could be a folding or collapsable leg for a tray table or a lap desk too.

Maybe a missing middle support leg from the front of a setee.

Maybe a missing bedpost topper above the canopy of a canopy bed that needed higher ceilings
    Last edited by Moon Over My Hammy; 05-01-2009 at 07:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Over My Hammy View Post
    Doesn't look like a tool at all looks like finished wood piece from furniture like a leg or post.

Might be a hinged turned table leg support for a dropped leaf coffee or tea table or a tray table like a butler table. The side in your right hand looks like it has a hinge cap to rest over a dowel or pin on the underside of the leaf. The end nearest the turnings with the rounded end looks like it would sit on the floor might be finished that way with a ball foot so won't make a wear mark or scuff on the floor when it is swung into position under the table leaf.

Might also have been attached to a pivoting leaf support hinged and swung out from the main frame of the table to support the leaf then this leg dropped down and sat in place and was held there by the weight of the table leaf above.

Could be a folding or collapsable leg for a tray table or a lap desk too.

Maybe a missing middle support leg from the front of a setee.

Maybe a missing bedpost topper above the canopy of a canopy bed that needed higher ceilings
    Laughing at that post........... From the deranged I tell you! But not to worry. You find that these days on line.

Looks like some kind of "push tool" Can you post more pics of the front end?

It's a giant muddler for makin' giant mojitos. Enjoy. <G>

Seriously though, a pic or two of just the "business end" might be helpful.

It looks to me like something off a millinery display.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Here's the business end photo that you requested I upload. Hope this brings us closer to solving the mystery!

Thank you for everyone who took the time to reply and assist us in this quest.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo.jpg 
Views:	255 
Size:	3.9 KB 
ID:	2422