+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Junction box extension of wire

Quote Originally Posted by cubangt View Post
    Ok, wasn't able to get the pics, but checked on what I had.

The breaker is a 20A GE breaker
    The wire that was run is 12/2 W/G Type NM-B 600V

That's whats stamped on the side of the cable..

Now, something else about this run is the following, since most of the run was done on the outside of the house under the roof eave, we had a security light installed and a single outdoor outlet where the run was then brought into the attic to make the rest of the run.. The security light is the dusk to dawn type with no switch to turn on or off, the outlet isn't used except for Christmas lights, so the light would be the only thing that could be on at the same time as other equipment in the garage, but im only 1 person, so not like im going to have 10 tools going at once, im merely making it so I don't have to disconnect and reconnect tools as I need them and to eliminate the need for extension cord as my only source of power in the garage.

I probably wont call back the same guy, since it was a little pricey at the time, but I would think that just running the conduit and setting up the quads wont cost a lot.. atleast not compared to making the runs from the back of the house to the garage.

So with the following layout illustrated below, can I run / setup more quads than I was told? Maybe I was told more quads instead of actual outlets.. But if they can do more then that would be great, cause I would have more freedom on some of the stationary tools..

Thank you everyone for your suggestions and knowledge in this, I just want to make sure when they come in know what they are telling me is true and have a better understanding.
    Actually the loading is fine and getting cords off the floor is a goal of the Code.

However, the 20A standard breaker should be replaced with a GFCI breaker and the NM-B Romex is not listed for "wet or damp" locations. Any runs outside are "damp".

Type would be OK.
    Good Luck from Columbiana, Alabama
    Maurice Turgeon, Hidden Content

The runs were done in the galvanized conduit with the water tight fittings for the small 10ft run from the breaker box to the area where it was brought into the attic to run the rest of the length.

So is that wrong? Do I need someone else to come look at this work before moving forward?

I don't want to finish off the garage to find out it needs to be redone again..

The runs were done in the galvanized conduit with the water tight fittings for the small 10ft run from the breaker box to the area where it was brought into the attic to run the rest of the length.

So is that wrong? Do I need someone else to come look at this work before moving forward?

I don't want to finish off the garage to find out it needs to be redone again..
    Actually, the area inside any conduit, run outdoors, is now considered a "wet location" so, the wire must have at least one "W" in its designation. The conductors in Romex is THHN. Pulling NM in conduit is allowed but risky, because it often overfills the raceway.

Strictly by Code, the conductors should be replaced with something like THWN.

Great.. so sounds like more money wasted if im going to have to have it re-done..

So the yellow 12/2 W/G Type NM-B wasn't suppose to be used with the conduit on the outside?

Is that cable good to use inside the garage?

Great.. so sounds like more money wasted if im going to have to have it re-done..

So the yellow 12/2 W/G Type NM-B wasn't suppose to be used with the conduit on the outside?

Is that cable good to use inside the garage?
    Yes, in a non-commercial garage.