+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default Bathroom Ventilation Problem

I live in a first floor condo (formerly a two-family). There is a distinct "smell" (i.e., sewer-like) that only occurs when the bathroom window is open. It's worse on humid days. Over the past 4 years, I've spent several thousand dollars tearing apart the walls, having plumbers vent the drains properly, replaced the toilet seal twice, installed a ceiling fan to the outside and put silicon caulk around the base of the toilet. Nothing has worked. I'm at a loss about what to do next, as I've never had this problem anyplace else I've lived. ANY suggestions would be helpful before I spend more $$ (new toilet? checking if the main sewer pipe has a crack?) on things that won't work. Thanks!

Default Re: Bathroom Ventilation Problem

If your main has a crack in it, why would the smell be noticed only when the window is open?

Have your plumber check the vent that goes through the roof.

i agree with dj. you have to do some testing regarding your roof vent as well as your neighbors roof vent. it's very possible that when the wind blows a certain direction it carries the vent gasses down the roof and into the window. google "mountain wind drafts". the peak of the house can send wind in a very distinct direction and funnel it right by your bathroom window. if would be just a bad coincidence but it's very possible. see if it only happens on windy days, on days when the wind is only from the east or north, etc.

Thanks for the advice. For some strange reason, these responses only showed up yesterday!

It it also possible that the trap arms are too long and when you use the bath for example it sucks out the water in the trap.